View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #50
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalguy66 View Post
As far as "converting" modern vehicles to "carb and intake" and "non electronic" transmission, etc.. The newer the vehicle, the more drastic the butcher-job that entails, and the larger the list of resulting DELETED FEATURES..
Agreed completely. Modern vehicles wiring complexity and schematics are a royal MF'r to read unless you know what you're doing.

I've rewired 2 GM classics front to rear without ever taking any electronics related classes, and I've seen the modern schematics and I scratch my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
10 years old, not really much of a problem. Take a 2008 Suburban for example, originally equipped with a V8 and a 4L60E transmission. An older carb V8 engine with an HEI and a 700R4 trans is a drop in replacement with nothing to change as far as mounts, driveshafts, etc. All you need to do is re-plumb the electric fuel pump system to let the mechanical fuel pump on the engine draw fuel, provide power to the ignition, and install a few simple switches and wires to get the lockup working on the transmission. Done.
Possible yes, but a bit more involved then that.
99.9% of a "Conversions" are exactly the opposite.

I've done 2 classic GM conversions with modern LSx/Vortec engines from GM.
For someone to take a modern GM Suburban and go backwards, it's very rare......and a bit more complicated then that.

You have the ECM and harnesses to contend with rewiring, reprogramming, delete VATS, etc.......
It can be done, yes.......

The simpler method, just get a bone bare OEM low end LS Suburban without all the electro-gizmo Bullcrap on it.
Then strip the harness and put in a classic harness which is 10x simpler to understand and troubleshoot.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote