The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is There a "Crush Washer" Available for an AK? (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27213)

arcom 08-19-2007 09:56 AM

Is There a "Crush Washer" Available for an AK?

MyYugo M95 USA muzzle device could benefit from some sort of crush washer like those used on ARs. As it is now, with the device tightened and the lock pin engaged there's still some free play.

Has anyone come up with a solution? My M70AB2 kit came with a washer for the muzzle, but the M95 dint, or if it did I lost it.

Thanks

ronin 08-19-2007 11:24 AM

There's typically some play. It's my understanding that the muzzle devices are intended to be taken off by hand for cleaning. None of mine are wrenched on like those on an AR.

akxtc 08-19-2007 11:28 AM

You can slowly sand or file or grind off a little from the back of the muzzlebrake until you get the next revolution and get it to barely make it. Resulting in a tighter fit. $.02

RG Coburn 08-19-2007 12:31 PM

If you absolutely need a washer,hit a decent autio parts store.They usually have a drawer or kit box that has a variety of oil pan plug washers,made of copper,and of various sizes and thicknesses.Beltsand or file down to need.

carrolte 08-19-2007 12:47 PM

for me, grinding another revolution only resulted in free play after the next session of firing.

JIGBALLS 08-19-2007 01:07 PM

Try some teflon tape , the kind used for water and gas line piping connections, it will tighten up the break, if you take the break off just use some more tape when putting it back on. works great.

allesennogwat 08-19-2007 01:09 PM

The Tantal muzzle brake has the same threads and uses a shim washer. It's flat on top to clear the retaining plunger. It can be made from an aluminum drink can or even a a thin piece of sheet steel but should be really thin. An aluminum can is perfect thickness.

WJ-Polish Guy 08-19-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcom
MyYugo M95 USA muzzle device could benefit from some sort of crush washer like those used on ARs. As it is now, with the device tightened and the lock pin engaged there's still some free play.

Has anyone come up with a solution? My M70AB2 kit came with a washer for the muzzle, but the M95 dint, or if it did I lost it.

Thanks

You have lost it, cause they do came with spring washer at the muzzle.

I would say make one, is not difficult looking piece.

jwc0506 08-20-2007 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin
There's typically some play. It's my understanding that the muzzle devices are intended to be taken off by hand for cleaning. None of mine are wrenched on like those on an AR.

+1, I agree with-ronin a little play is normal. i don't like mine on tight, cause it seems crooked when i tried that. so leave a little play. if was wobbly loose then maybe tighten it more. normally they seem to be "slightly" loose. just my .02

flopshot 08-20-2007 05:04 AM

as they say, if it ain't broke,,,,,,,

arcom 08-20-2007 11:17 AM

Thanks guys...some good suggestions to try.

sparkysko 08-20-2007 11:31 AM

Anyone know if anyone sells them by themselves, or what size to look for at the store? I see online that there a few aftermarket muzzle brakes that come with a crush washer, and I see crush washers for AR's for sale by themselves, but not for AK's.

Mine I had to crank on real hard to get it to tighten down into the 'snap' of the pin when I first got my rifle. A week or so later (and some shooting), it was loose. I assumed the tight fit and the recoil caused the front sight base to back up. I don't recall if there was a crush washer, as I could have lost it when removing the brake.

creator0203 08-20-2007 06:36 PM

My M95A kit came with a washer. I think they all do. my flash hider is snug.

arcom 08-20-2007 07:40 PM

Apparently I lost the spacer/washer/spring thingy. My concern, perhaps misplaced, is that a wobbly device might leak but now that I think about it I doubt that is an issue. The rifle shoots just fine and was by far the best but perhaps not the easiest build I've done. The NDS receiver and the Bocefus kit were a perfect match.

Thanks again

creator0203 08-20-2007 08:17 PM

The spacer/washer is really thin. I dont think that it is truley necessary. I'll micrometer one for you cause all you need is a shim. Bassically the same thing.

carrolte 08-20-2007 08:34 PM

I like the idea of cutting one out of the side of a beer can. I will try that when I get some time

creator0203 08-20-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrolte
I like the idea of cutting one out of the side of a beer can. I will try that when I get some time

Thats alittle thinner. Probably would defeat the purpose. Especially being aluminum.