The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galils, Valmets and the R series (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   galil reweld build (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330392)

bjonesgtaw 12-30-2017 10:01 PM

galil reweld build
 
A galil has always been a dream of mine and i finally took the plunge and ordered a kit from APEX since they had an awesome Christmas deal that included a proofed barrel for 40$, mags for 12$ and a cut receiver for 1$. I also took advantage of the free shipping on the kit and ordered 9 more cut receivers hoping i would get a decent front stub.

https://i.imgur.com/IUcDLxMl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/N8wJpHGl.jpg

I got lucky and got 2 so i hand picked different sections to give myself clear marking and easy weld ability.

https://i.imgur.com/aD0RKyxl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9edi7QFl.jpg

This build will be slow since i'm somewhat limited on tools and a budget since i don't want to spend a ton of money.

progress from tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/nuNV4QDl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aEKiEFZl.jpg

Unit28 12-30-2017 10:28 PM

Sheeetttttt, must be able to weld anything from; the crack a dawn, to a broken heart!!! Someday I’ll learn how to build a Galil , someday.

bjonesgtaw 12-30-2017 10:44 PM

welding won't be a problem. 1 of these will be tig welded and the other mig welded just for fun.

Makman90 12-31-2017 04:08 PM

Wow nice man!!! That should be nice to weld!! You got some decent pieces!!! I was happy to get the front lugs intact...with 3/4" build up to go to the other side of the magwell...

*heavy sigh

bjonesgtaw 12-31-2017 07:58 PM

All i wanted was some intact front lugs, I got very very lucky on the rest. Damn 3/4" is a ton. Im shooting for 3/16" max on my first one and zero on the second. I'd like to keep dremel work to a minimum.

Makman90 12-31-2017 09:46 PM

I got two good front stubs and all the rest was shit!! With all the fill in work I'm gonna have to do..there will be loads of grinding machining...I just built up my gap one pass at a time switching sides as I went trying not to over heat to much..but idont like the idea of it!! I'll get some better center sections for the next round!!

bjonesgtaw 01-01-2018 03:20 PM

Yea, no bueno with the build up. Its going to shrink and pull really hard no matter what. Good job in the front stubs though. Hopefully i can get the first receiver tacked up this weekend.

mullicrk 01-01-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makman90 (Post 4394881)
I got two good front stubs and all the rest was shit!! With all the fill in work I'm gonna have to do..there will be loads of grinding machining...I just built up my gap one pass at a time switching sides as I went trying not to over heat to much..but idont like the idea of it!! I'll get some better center sections for the next round!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjonesgtaw (Post 4395802)
Yea, no bueno with the build up. Its going to shrink and pull really hard no matter what. Good job in the front stubs though. Hopefully i can get the first receiver tacked up this weekend.


You guys post up what you need.....shit I have way more pieces than I will ever use....I just wont cut loose my sets....but I got plenty of everything else......you live close then pick what you need.....or I can post up some stuff.......u pay shipping


Or get some nice Numrich pieces

Makman90 01-01-2018 07:19 PM

Thank you mullicrk!! As I get further along I'll be in touch for sure!! I know I'll need a source for rivets for trigger gaurd and bullet guides..and a copy of "how to rivet bullet guide and trigger gaurd (without destroying said bullet guide or trigger gaurd) for dummies"

mullicrk 01-01-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makman90 (Post 4396196)
Thank you mullicrk!! As I get further along I'll be in touch for sure!! I know I'll need a source for rivets for trigger gaurd and bullet guides..and a copy of "how to rivet bullet guide and trigger gaurd (without destroying said bullet guide or trigger gaurd) for dummies"

Well my bullet guide stash is low low low....I keep a couple extras beside what the kits have but thats it. You should start looking for that now.

As for the rivets you can just buy a standard AKM kit and pull what you need. The single trigger guard rivet is shorter rivet and the 4 in front for the mag catch are a little longer and can be had in the Brownells AKM rivet kit...

For the how to on the rivets, we can tackle that later....I do all my rivet by hammer and backer. I can press too but never liked that...Takes a lung time but they come out nice....Pressing does too. There are special rivet jigs for galil rivets out there as well.

Makman90 01-01-2018 10:42 PM

Awesome you are the man thank you!! I just saw akm rivet kits pop up on apex today! I'll get one on the way!! My kit came with a good bullet guide I was referring to the rivet for the bullet guide. I'll look into it more when I get closer to that point. Thank you for the info!

bjonesgtaw 01-04-2018 07:16 PM

some more progress, only had to tack it up 3 times to get it right before i started welding lol

https://i.imgur.com/gI3hBTQh.jpg

Makman90 01-04-2018 07:58 PM

He'll yeah man!! Looking good!! I should hopefully have my jig made by the weekend! Then it's on!! You migged It? What did you use for a heat sink?

bjonesgtaw 01-04-2018 08:14 PM

Yea, migged it because i was impatient lol. Didn't want to wait on my 110v converter cord thing for my miller maxstar. no heat sink, just took my time with stitch welds after i had it tack'd in plenty of spots. Its all roughed with a flapper wheel right now but i will hit it with a belt sander and then sand blast it before i cerakote it.

Makman90 01-04-2018 08:51 PM

Nice!! I hear ya on the impatient part!!! I have no doubt that you'll be able to clean that up nice!! Gonna be sweet!! I actually want to go to work in the am now!!

Rahatlakhoom 01-04-2018 08:55 PM

Heck man. you Got it!
All it takes is determination.
Nothing wrong with MIG at all.

bjonesgtaw 01-04-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makman90 (Post 4401224)
Nice!! I hear ya on the impatient part!!! I have no doubt that you'll be able to clean that up nice!! Gonna be sweet!! I actually want to go to work in the am now!!

thanks, i hope i can do a good job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom (Post 4401231)
Heck man. you Got it!
All it takes is determination.
Nothing wrong with MIG at all.

thank you sir, ill get it done. No promises how good it will look though haha.





I like to live dangerously
https://i.imgur.com/UG4v06th.png

Makman90 01-05-2018 01:08 PM

Damn!!! 9 more!

bjonesgtaw 01-06-2018 10:10 PM

got some more done

https://i.imgur.com/ku9BQRCh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ot7BoSbh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bs3sBOXh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eeIzFWHh.jpg

jim1958 01-06-2018 10:14 PM

how are the rails on the inside look? Those are pain in the ass to reach with welder.

bjonesgtaw 01-06-2018 10:16 PM

Huge pain in the ass, just build up as much as you can and dremel away. Spent about an hour and a half with a dremel to get them back where they would allow the carrier and bolt to pass through.

jim1958 01-06-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjonesgtaw (Post 4405188)
Huge pain in the ass, just build up as much as you can and dremel away. Spent about an hour and a half with a dremel to get them back where they would allow the carrier and bolt to pass through.

I bet, it's probably worth to make a special jig just to make sure that the inside is smooth for the carrier to slide on.

Makman90 01-06-2018 10:55 PM

Hell yeah man!!! Looking really gooood!!!!!

bjonesgtaw 01-09-2018 12:57 AM

played the apex lottery and lost lol, anyone want to buy a galil bottle opener? or keychain fob?
https://i.imgur.com/s5RBA7Xh.jpg


progress tonight, rivet'd the trigger guard and mag catch on. I used the US made trigger guard and mag catch sold by jimmerjammer here on the files. great product BTW.
https://i.imgur.com/wupllcVh.jpg

mullicrk 01-09-2018 01:41 AM

Looks good, nice progress!

bjonesgtaw 01-09-2018 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullicrk (Post 4406071)
Looks good, nice progress!

Thank you, it feels like I'm polishing a turd.

https://i.imgur.com/DQ8oXj1h.jpg

Makman90 01-09-2018 06:50 AM

Alright man!!! Looks great!! Yikes on the apex lottery!! Although some of those that are cut through the lugs are valuable. Great job on the trigger gaurd to!!

Rahatlakhoom 01-09-2018 07:10 AM

Looking real nice.

aresshrike 01-09-2018 09:39 PM

bjonesgtaw - That's really amazing, you should be very proud, great work!

bjonesgtaw 01-11-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom (Post 4406256)
Looking real nice.

gracias

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makman90 (Post 4406241)
Alright man!!! Looks great!! Yikes on the apex lottery!! Although some of those that are cut through the lugs are valuable. Great job on the trigger gaurd to!!

yea, got hosed, you talking about using them for a reweld with a good front half? and thanks, the ak builder jig i had needed to be ground on but ended up working out fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresshrike (Post 4407734)
bjonesgtaw - That's really amazing, you should be very proud, great work!

thank you, this is my first reweld and im pretty happy with it so far.




progress today included more grinding/welding/file work. should have just left it like it was yesterday lol.
should be ready to headspace tomorrow after i rivet the feed ramp in

https://i.imgur.com/csl65Cgh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/akF1zPdh.jpg

Makman90 01-11-2018 10:13 PM

Looks great man!!! I was in the same boat today...grind/weld/sand/weld/grind/weld/sand...

bjonesgtaw 01-11-2018 11:56 PM

decided to cerakote(since the BBQ paint i tried didnt even hold up to Remington oil) so I decided to hand sand up to 220 grit before I sand blast again
https://i.imgur.com/wQ092mmh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/NMaiLl4h.jpg

mullicrk 01-12-2018 12:16 AM

Busy bees you and Makman90.....Very nice...

Rewelds take time (Allot of time) skills and patience. Not for the regular build but for the person who want to take build up a few notches.....Well done to both of you.

Posting your progress and details are what makes this forum so enjoyable!

bjonesgtaw 01-12-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullicrk (Post 4411963)
Busy bees you and Makman90.....Very nice...

Rewelds take time (Allot of time) skills and patience. Not for the regular build but for the person who want to take build up a few notches.....Well done to both of you.

Posting your progress and details are what makes this forum so enjoyable!

I agree, that's why I came back to this forum for this build. A hell of a lot more fun passing around the knowledge and seeing others complete the same thing. appreciate it, its been a fun and time consuming build so far.

mullicrk 01-12-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjonesgtaw (Post 4411991)
I agree, that's why I came back to this forum for this build. A hell of a lot more fun passing around the knowledge and seeing others complete the same thing. appreciate it, its been a fun and time consuming build so far.


Right, its a learning experience even for old dogs....Now you know what I mean about your own thread? Its yours man......You guys deserve some serious props but I will hold off anymore till we see the final product and test fire ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles