The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparedness (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Fitness Preparedness Group (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266804)

Johnny5.56 06-06-2016 11:47 AM

Fitness Preparedness Group

I have started a fitness/healthy living group for members of the firearms community on FB.

Physical fitness, healthy/clean eating and overall wellness are crucial elements to maintain in all situations in life, and especially in light of the world situation and what lies ahead of us in the near future.

I would like for those of us who are attempting to live this lifestyle, as well as those who may just be interested, to join and participate in the group. I believe that it will be a great benefits to ourselves and our families.

If you do not use FB, that is OK. As long as it is alright with with mods, maybe we can have this thread become a sticky and we can all contribute (healthy eating recipes, fitness plans, etc.) here as well.

Thank you,
John.

drjarhead 06-06-2016 12:00 PM

Let's see how the thread does.

Might be a sticky, or not.

There should be enough people to just keep it on page 1, IMO.

I've had a few fitness threads on here in the past, FWIW, and I sure do encourage people to get moving.

MI redneck 06-06-2016 12:13 PM

I don't do FB but like the idea.

May help others like me who want to get in better shape, but lack proper motivation. :o

ba ba booey 06-06-2016 12:26 PM

If you are reading this thread and thinking you are too busy, ect I think youd be suprised at how a little regular effort goes a long way. Since the start of the year, 3 days a week ive been lifting at the gym, 2 days a week at the Dojo. I dont live in either place, but why *wouldn't* you want to be stronger and more capable??

Johnny5.56 06-06-2016 01:59 PM

I think we're off to a good start. A big motivating factor for me was seeing how winded I was just by carrying my kids up the stairs. We can share healthy recipes and exercise tips/regimens, etc. to motivate each other.

I got tired of being one of the many overweight dudes at the gun show and decided to do something about it and it feels really good. :D

Solid Snake 7.62 06-06-2016 03:43 PM

I like the idea of this thread. I'm down 90 pounds over the last couple of years and I'd like to see others accomplish the same goal who would like to.

Johnny5.56 06-06-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 (Post 3305978)
I like the idea of this thread. I'm down 90 pounds over the last couple of years and I'd like to see others accomplish the same goal who would like to.

That's awesome! What was helped you the most?

Solid Snake 7.62 06-06-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny5.56 (Post 3305986)
That's awesome! What was helped you the most?

My problem was I was always a medium-build guy. Through my own fault, I allowed myself to get way out of shape (long story short: I love pizza). After being a fatass for several years and closing in on 40, I just said "Fuck this. I gotta do something. No bullshit this time." And I just got to work. Stopped eating pizza 4 nights a week. Cut way back on my drinking. I love my whiskey but alcohol is a killer when you're trying to get in shape.

If you're way out of shape and starting from scratch, my advice (and I'm not a personal trainer or anything) is to get your calories to a reasonable level and focus on cardio. Good cardio sessions. No less than 30 minutes and you better be sweating. I don't want to get into a debate about what's better, cardio vs. weights, I'm just saying what worked for me to start melting the fat.

Another obstacle I had to overcome was the slight feeling of hunger at bedtime. I felt like I was starving at first. But I wasn't, I was just so used to pigging out right before bed that being nice and full at night was what I was used to.

A big part of it is mental. You have to want it. For real.

Solid Snake 7.62 06-06-2016 04:10 PM

I'll go ahead and share a recipe here. I've been doing this for a little over a year now. I don't mind eating the same thing for lunch at work during the week so this was perfect for me.

Every Sunday, I get a 2.5 pound bag of frozen chicken breast cutlets and dump the whole bag (still frozen) into a good sized crockpot. Then I dump a 24 oz. jar of salsa in with it. I cook it on low heat for 6 to 6.5 hours. You'll know its done when you can easily break up the big pieces by pushing a plastic serving spoon into them. When its done, I break up all the big pieces so its like a chicken and salsa stew. Then I take five tupperware containers and fill them up evenly with all the chicken/salsa mix. That's my lunch for the week. Put a couple in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer and just keep rotating a frozen one to the fridge each day. And every night before work (Sun-Thurs) I put a quarter cup of brown rice in my rice cooker. When its done I add it to tomorrow's chicken with some hot sauce. Its a tad on the bland side but not too bad. Its healthy, cheap, and simple to prepare.

Hope this helps.

Johnny5.56 06-06-2016 05:15 PM

Solid Snake 7.62. That's some great advice. I really appreciate it. I have a hard time avoiding a snack before bed too. I'm working on that one. I started my clean eating journey by cutting out carbs and sugar for the most part. I LOVE Jet's Pizza, so that was hard to give up. I do treat myself once a week to one meal or dessert, but I've cut back a TON.

For exercise, I started out doing a mix of cardio and resistance with an 8 week program called 22 Hard Corps. It was tough going from no exercise to 22 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week.

I kid you not. After completing the 8 week workout challenge I could see and feel the results. I am no longer out of breath after running up the stairs with my kids and it feels really good! I just started another 8 week workout and it's 30 minutes, 6 days a week, but I feel great.

Thanks for the food tip. My wife makes really good meals. Very clean eating; quinoa, kale, brown rice, and some chicken, etc. I'm lucky that she's such a great cook, but really, her meals are simple.

Let me encourage you guys out there. You can definitely do this. I'm even helping my parents and in-laws to get in shape.

irierider 06-06-2016 05:46 PM

... Can we post a vunch if shirtless flexing pics all jacked and tan?

MI redneck 06-06-2016 06:01 PM

Keep it between you and the mirror big boy. :laugh_sma

irierider 06-06-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI redneck (Post 3306185)
Keep it between you and the mirror big boy. :laugh_sma

Hahaha i was asking for... A..... Friend... Yep

drjarhead 06-06-2016 10:56 PM

I did a 30 set upper body weight workout and then put in 7mi.

You guys keep it up.

Venomous 06-07-2016 02:49 AM

I really need to get on this. I've always tried, but struggle majorly. I work night shifts 12 to 16 hours, and it's physical labor. I also have to meet hourly and daily standards at work, and when I was working out it was hell. I'm not bragging, but I am probably the top production employee here. I bust my ass daily, but when I work out my work suffers. I know I just need to stop being lazy, but I'm usually smoked after work. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears.

R4 fan 06-07-2016 08:05 AM

Sounds good. I recently joined a gym myself last month. Request sent through FB.

Malev 06-07-2016 11:32 AM

OP, thanks for bringing up this topic.

I'll share this smoothie recipe, it's what I had for breakfast. The fiber makes it very filling and the protein makes it a good post-workout drink

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...svqhfwt1j.jpeg

I used to use an expensive margarita blender - it was really powerful but made too much. I found a single-serving blender for $10 at Target that works great plus you can take the blender bottle with you out the door

I put a ripe banana at bottom, then add a Wheetabix biscuit (you can usually find in British food aisle at Publix, or at Trader Joe) add a scoop of Gold Standard Natural Whey (24g protein)

Top it off with whatever frozen fruit you like - I added some organic blueberries and mango chunks and poured some Almond Milk over it blend and enjoy.

BTW if it's not sweet enough add some honey

Scoutii 06-07-2016 10:14 PM

This thread speaks to me and wanted to share my recent experiences with eating healthy and maintaining what my body feels is my natural weight.

I have struggled with my weight all my adult life. I have lost weight before but regained back the usual struggle every person that has been fat or been overweight deals with.

So I asked myself an honest question, apparently I don't know how to eat correctly and what I have been taught my entire life isn't working and trying to follow the latest fades of diet soda, fat free this and make sure you eat from the 7 different food groups etc. If I did know what to eat and the size of portions I should eat for my age and lean body mass, I wouldn't be overweight.

So I sought out to learn, how to eat healthy and maintain it. Realize like most of us learned how to drive, shoot a gun, how to walk and talk. Someone had to show us or we learned and if we wanted to get better at any of those things we need to seek out knowledge and instruction.

So I learned what to eat and how to feed my body so I could be healthy. I became humble and realized what I thought I knew, I clearly didn't and what I had been taught was wrong.

I have lost over 40 lbs changed my body fat composition from 32% to 14%. I maintained my lean muscle mass, I did this with just changing my diet, I didn't do it by starving myself and working out 5 days a week. I work out maybe 3 days a week for 30min some weeks not even that much. I have learned that for me it is about what I eat, when I eat and the portions determine my overall weight.

This is what I do every day now and I stick to it like you would having your morning coffee and going to work everyday.

Morning
Coffee with Heavy Whipping Cream
1 hard boiled egg or 3oz of some type of protein

Mid Morning Snack
I have a snack example could be some almonds, some vegtables, some cheese or lean mean

Lunch
5oz of Meat, 1 cup or more of Spinach or Lettuce and 2 Cups of vegetables, no starches like potatoes or corn. We are talking about Red Peppers, Celery, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Zucchini, tomato's. Key here is no carb's or starches think of it this way nothing with white in it like flour, sugar, potato. 2 TB's of oil example i use Avocado oil, you can use Olive oil.

Afternoon Snack
Snack just like Mid Morning Snack

Dinner
7oz of protein, 1 cup or more of Spinach or Lettuce and 2 cups of vegetables just like lunch time meal. 2 Tablespoons of oil, example I use Advocado oil

After Dinner Snack
Similar to mid morning or afternoon snacks.

Nothing after 8 PM ever if you get hungary drink water.

What i listed above I did to lose weight my wife did the exact same thing and has lost and continued to lose weight because she is smaller she has a smaller portion of protein 5oz versus my 7oz. If I was taller and had more lean muscle mass I would have 9oz as an example.

I don't get hungery, I don't get highs and lows from food and my body has maintained my weight for over 7 months it has settled naturally at 190lbs and I am 5 foot 8. Per the government BMI index I am considered fat. However I am not for my bone density and muscle mass and body fat percentage my bodies natural body weight stays in the range between 187-190 lbs and my body fat is in the low teens. Also my visceral fat is now non existent as my body relies on fat for energy versus simple carbs and sugars. My body is no longer in fat storing mode it is in fat burning mode.

"TL DR"
Eliminate sugar, rice, flour or simple carbs, eat frequently, portion control your protein protein and eat vegetables and consume healthy fats. Get shredded and skip working out. I have friends you still eat like shit workout 5 days a week and can use an elliptical machine like no one else and will be fat until they learn how to eat, what and when.

Long post, ask yourself are you really and expert in regards to food? Do you know what you should be eating, when and portion size for your body type, age and gender? Go learn what is correct for your body what a healthy portion is get a food scale and take control of your health. Get some knowledge and apply it just like you do with AK's, Guns, Computers and of course Chicks. And if you think you might need to do a cup check it is best to pass her onto your buddy.

drjarhead 06-07-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomous (Post 3306940)
I really need to get on this. I've always tried, but struggle majorly. I work night shifts 12 to 16 hours, and it's physical labor. I also have to meet hourly and daily standards at work, and when I was working out it was hell. I'm not bragging, but I am probably the top production employee here. I bust my ass daily, but when I work out my work suffers. I know I just need to stop being lazy, but I'm usually smoked after work. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears.

If you're working that hard, maybe you don't need to.

Only you can really know the answer to that.

However, I'd recommend that if you want to make the commitment, that you just start out with 5 or 10 minutes AFTER WORK.
Do push ups, do pull ups, do sit ups and then run 1/2mi.

After you get used to it, you'll find more energy AND you'll have more juice in you at the end of work.

drjarhead 06-07-2016 10:34 PM

Diet and nutrition are a big part of your fitness regimen.

Just restating and reinforcing that.

Johnny5.56 06-07-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjarhead (Post 3306701)
I did a 30 set upper body weight workout and then put in 7mi.

You guys keep it up.

Nice! I did my daily workout (Insanity Max:30). I'm down 7 pounds over a period of a few weeks. My goal is to drop about 90 total.

Johnny5.56 06-07-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomous (Post 3306940)

My friend's in a similar situation. She has recommended a workout called Piyo. She said that it focuses on stretching and has really helped her.

Johnny5.56 06-07-2016 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malev (Post 3307303)
OP, thanks for bringing up this topic.

I'll share this smoothie recipe, it's what I had for breakfast. The fiber makes it very filling and the protein makes it a good post-workout drink

I used to use an expensive margarita blender - it was really powerful but made too much. I found a single-serving blender for $10 at Target that works great plus you can take the blender bottle with you out the door

I put a ripe banana at bottom, then add a Wheetabix biscuit (you can usually find in British food aisle at Publix, or at Trader Joe) add a scoop of Gold Standard Natural Whey (24g protein)

Top it off with whatever frozen fruit you like - I added some organic blueberries and mango chunks and poured some Almond Milk over it blend and enjoy.

BTW if it's not sweet enough add some honey

I'm glad that we can help each other. Thanks for sharing your smoothie recipe. I'll share mine.

My wife and I have really been enjoying Shakeology. She did a bunch of research on it before we bought it. We drink the Vegan Chocolate mix.

Chocolate Banana Smoothie
  • 1 Scoup Shakeology Vegan Chocolate powder
  • Half or whole frozen banana
  • Cup of ice
  • Tablespoon of almond butter or sunslower seed butter
  • 10 ounces almond milk (unsweetened) - substitue with water

Johnny5.56 06-07-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutii (Post 3308343)
This thread speaks to me and wanted to share my recent experiences with eating healthy and maintaining what my body feels is my natural weight.

I have struggled with my weight all my adult life. I have lost weight before but regained back the usual struggle every person that has been fat or been overweight deals with.

So I asked myself an honest question, apparently I don't know how to eat correctly and what I have been taught my entire life isn't working and trying to follow the latest fades of diet soda, fat free this and make sure you eat from the 7 different food groups etc. If I did know what to eat and the size of portions I should eat for my age and lean body mass, I wouldn't be overweight.

So I sought out to learn, how to eat healthy and maintain it. Realize like most of us learned how to drive, shoot a gun, how to walk and talk. Someone had to show us or we learned and if we wanted to get better at any of those things we need to seek out knowledge and instruction.

So I learned what to eat and how to feed my body so I could be healthy. I became humble and realized what I thought I knew, I clearly didn't and what I had been taught was wrong.

I have lost over 40 lbs changed my body fat composition from 32% to 14%. I maintained my lean muscle mass, I did this with just changing my diet, I didn't do it by starving myself and working out 5 days a week. I work out maybe 3 days a week for 30min some weeks not even that much. I have learned that for me it is about what I eat, when I eat and the portions determine my overall weight.

This is what I do every day now and I stick to it like you would having your morning coffee and going to work everyday.

Morning
Coffee with Heavy Whipping Cream
1 hard boiled egg or 3oz of some type of protein

Mid Morning Snack
I have a snack example could be some almonds, some vegtables, some cheese or lean mean

Lunch
5oz of Meat, 1 cup or more of Spinach or Lettuce and 2 Cups of vegetables, no starches like potatoes or corn. We are talking about Red Peppers, Celery, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Zucchini, tomato's. Key here is no carb's or starches think of it this way nothing with white in it like flour, sugar, potato. 2 TB's of oil example i use Avocado oil, you can use Olive oil.

Afternoon Snack
Snack just like Mid Morning Snack

Dinner
7oz of protein, 1 cup or more of Spinach or Lettuce and 2 cups of vegetables just like lunch time meal. 2 Tablespoons of oil, example I use Advocado oil

After Dinner Snack
Similar to mid morning or afternoon snacks.

Nothing after 8 PM ever if you get hungary drink water.

What i listed above I did to lose weight my wife did the exact same thing and has lost and continued to lose weight because she is smaller she has a smaller portion of protein 5oz versus my 7oz. If I was taller and had more lean muscle mass I would have 9oz as an example.

I don't get hungery, I don't get highs and lows from food and my body has maintained my weight for over 7 months it has settled naturally at 190lbs and I am 5 foot 8. Per the government BMI index I am considered fat. However I am not for my bone density and muscle mass and body fat percentage my bodies natural body weight stays in the range between 187-190 lbs and my body fat is in the low teens. Also my visceral fat is now non existent as my body relies on fat for energy versus simple carbs and sugars. My body is no longer in fat storing mode it is in fat burning mode.

"TL DR"
Eliminate sugar, rice, flour or simple carbs, eat frequently, portion control your protein protein and eat vegetables and consume healthy fats. Get shredded and skip working out. I have friends you still eat like shit workout 5 days a week and can use an elliptical machine like no one else and will be fat until they learn how to eat, what and when.

Long post, ask yourself are you really and expert in regards to food? Do you know what you should be eating, when and portion size for your body type, age and gender? Go learn what is correct for your body what a healthy portion is get a food scale and take control of your health. Get some knowledge and apply it just like you do with AK's, Guns, Computers and of course Chicks. And if you think you might need to do a cup check it is best to pass her onto your buddy.

Great post! Very insightful. Thank you.

RMiller 06-08-2016 11:36 AM

I'd be interested.

Dragynn 06-08-2016 06:02 PM

Caveman diet man, we eat meat every night, usually with veggies or fruit. Cottage cheese is a nice high-pro snack, I add some fruit for flavor sometimes. Another nice snack is jerky, we make our own.

Best deal is to grow/raise your own food, it's a shit-ton tastier and so much healthier overall, when I started regularly eating food I grew myself, I had some nagging chronic health problems just completely disappear, my constant heartburn from what I guess was an ulcer just went away, my allergies that had kept me going to the doctor 5-6 times a year for sinus infections also went away completely, it's mind-blowing how much better my wife and I both do on homegrown/raised food.

Venomous 06-08-2016 09:26 PM

My problem is my portion control, plus I love food. I eat very healthy when I work(chobani Greek yogurt at 9PM, Turkey sandwich one high fiber bread and some form of fruit at 11PM, granola bar at 3AM, and a can of Tuna at 5am.)I also drink a bottle of water every two hours. My days off are where I suffer...

FMJ 911 06-08-2016 10:29 PM

I rode my bicycle 16 miles (round trip) on the Centennial Trail yesterday. I plan to try and do that at least once a week, twice or more if possible.

Then I destroyed my strides by eating a bunch of junk food.

RMiller 06-09-2016 06:46 AM

I sent a request to join on FB.

Black Blade 06-09-2016 03:37 PM

Go with the Paleo-Diet ...

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/cba...8c6e4375_r.jpg http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/f88...e8d55c14_r.jpg

A good well rounded diet is necessary for staying fit. I have an over abundance of grains and processed long term storage in my food preps as well as in my daily food consumption. We need high calorie foods if we are reduced to doing a lot of physical labor for meeting our basic requirements when the conveniences we now enjoy are no longer around. I periodically (several months at a time) will change my diet to shed a few pounds and increase my energy level. What works for me may not work for others. At these times I avoid grains and processed foods and go "Paleo" as in Paleo-Diet. It is like the Atkins diet on steroids. It's essentially a food plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. Combined with running, weight training and various cardio exercises it helps keep one fit and ready for the bad times ahead.

- Black Blade

Malev 06-09-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomous (Post 3309891)
My problem is my portion control, plus I love food. I eat very healthy when I work(chobani Greek yogurt at 9PM, Turkey sandwich one high fiber bread and some form of fruit at 11PM, granola bar at 3AM, and a can of Tuna at 5am.)I also drink a bottle of water every two hours. My days off are where I suffer...

Eating an apple shortly before your meal may help you with portion control. I try to eat 2-3 apples or oranges a day between meals to keep my appetite from getting out of control.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...le-a-day-diet/

Solid Snake 7.62 06-11-2016 10:52 AM

Just curious...for those of you that work out at home, what home gym setups do you use?

(let me prepare myself for the flames about to be shot at me by serious weightlifters...)

I use a treadmill and stairs for cardio, and I also use a Total Gym and a Soloflex (don't laugh, it was $25 from craigslist).

Lumi 06-11-2016 12:26 PM

My findings in life so far, and what has worked for me:

- Joining a gym is easy, going regularly is more difficult, in fact most people fail to maintain the motivation.

- Working out at home is much more convenient. Something like a P90 DVD programme is excellent. Not many people can't spare 30 mins a day to do it. Results are clear after 4 weeks.

- It's not always the main meals that do the harm, it's the snacking in between. Don't eat crisps or any other junk.

- Always leave the table knowing that you could have eaten a little bit more.

- True "healthy food" can taste shit. Don't kill your happiness - eat unhealthy stuff too, but in smaller portions.

- If you must eat burgers & chips, request a smaller portion from the waitress. Maybe replace the chips with salad.

- Don't get obsessed with checking your weight with scales - small changes in your body's liquid content, what you've eaten recently and whether you've taken a dump, can all make the number yoyo. Chuck the scales and just look at yourself in the mirror. If you make progress, the results will be visible, and it's much more motivating.

- Exchange fizzy drinks and pop for water. Shop-bought orange juice is also full of sugar and no better for you than Coke.

- Finally, walk down the high street and look at the proportion of 30-40 year olds that are fatties. Then check out the proportion of 70-80 year olds that are fatties. There's a reason for that. Losing weight helps you live longer and live more happy lives (less health problems, less knee problems, etc.)

Malev 06-11-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 (Post 3314448)
Just curious...for those of you that work out at home, what home gym setups do you use?

(let me prepare myself for the flames about to be shot at me by serious weightlifters...)

I use a treadmill and stairs for cardio, and I also use a Total Gym and a Soloflex (don't laugh, it was $25 from craigslist).

I have a Vectra multi-gym. I bought it many years ago and it is a solid piece of equipment. I also have a Paramount chin/dip bar and Olympic barbell with York plates in the garage.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...sgqvs0j3o.jpeg

Scoutii 06-11-2016 06:33 PM

Kettlebell's are like AK of Fitness World

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 (Post 3314448)

I use Kettlebell's for training and working out at home. For those that aren't aware they are like AK of the fitness world. One single Kettlebell is all that you need.

I think every AK owner should also own a Kettlebell and know how to use it to fix your body and fix AK.