The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   RPKs and RPDs (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Info on Russian RPKS folding stock Paratrooper LMG? (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338243)

mishaco 03-14-2018 02:58 AM

Info on Russian RPKS folding stock Paratrooper LMG?

Basically, there is no info online about the RPKS variant with the solid side folding clubfoot buttstock.

Does anyone know when it was first introduced and first fielded?
Years of production?

Also had a technical question. Any info on when the original latch style was changed to the modern type?
I mean, when did Molot switch from the bullet hole lock to the thumb latch?
Hope that makes sense lol.

chknfkr 03-14-2018 07:51 AM

I do not have all the answers you're looking for, but when the latch was redesigned, they did retain the "bullet" hole as a failsafe.

chknfkr 03-14-2018 10:33 AM

I think the new latch design came when they introduced the RPK-74M, so early 90s?

mishaco 03-14-2018 03:33 PM

Thanks, that helps. I didn't realise the new latch design was that...well...new hehe. I guess i thought it came in with late RPKS or early RPKS74 production. Like I said, so little out there on these. Heck, not a ton on the RPK in general even.

chknfkr 03-14-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishaco (Post 4528565)
Thanks, that helps. I didn't realise the new latch design was that...well...new hehe. I guess i thought it came in with late RPKS or early RPKS74 production. Like I said, so little out there on these. Heck, not a ton on the RPK in general even.

It may not be, but that is where my research has lead me. As you say, info is VERY limited.

I dug through a bunch of info when I was on the quest for a RPK-74M.

Now I have the rifle and the info is no longer at the forefront of my mind.

mishaco 03-14-2018 09:31 PM

Its kind of opposite for me.

I got an RPK74M in the form of a VEPR 1V a long time ago, really by accident/luck.
But this is my first RPKS folder.

17 Vive liberatum 76 03-15-2018 12:09 AM

Let’s just appreciate the rifle a little bit at this point in the thread.

chknfkr 03-17-2018 04:59 PM

Mishaco, do you have the kalashnikov encyclopedia set? If so, the back half of book 2 is chock full of RPK data.

If not, pm me and I can send you the relevant pages.

I'd post them here, but I feel that might violate the rules here.

mishaco 03-17-2018 06:53 PM

Thanks for the offer, but scanned pages (picture form) don't really do me much good. For my TTS to read something, it needs to be in a text based format (i.e. txt font, doc file, or a PDF converted to actual text rather than a pure image).

I did fire my RPK yesterday. No surprises, great fun.

chknfkr 03-17-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishaco (Post 4534368)
Thanks for the offer, but scanned pages (picture form) don't really do me much good. For my TTS to read something, it needs to be in a text based format (i.e. txt font, doc file, or a PDF converted to actual text rather than a pure image).

I did fire my RPK yesterday. No surprises, great fun.

Copy that. I would be more than happy to record myself reading them. It would of course take some time.

mishaco 03-18-2018 01:51 AM

I appreciate the offer, sincerely I do.

I would take you up on it as knowledge/data is basically my crack cocaine.....and i do love me some cocaine too.
Err what was i saying again?

Oh yeah, usually when there's a friend witha firearms book he wants to tell me about, we just do a good old fashion phone call chat.
I take notes as needed, though i do have a decent memory....thanks to that cocaine?

hehe....

chknfkr 03-18-2018 08:53 AM

I'm good with a phone call as well. Pm me and we'll make this happen.

mishaco 03-18-2018 05:40 PM

Drop me a line: ozarkbeararms@gmail.com and i can give you my phone #.

chknfkr 03-18-2018 06:05 PM

Done

jekbrown 04-11-2018 02:45 AM

i expect a mishaco youtube video to follow with this newly gained info... :)