The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   AR15 / AR10 (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Lancer vs Pmag, side by side concrete drop testing (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325058)

ba ba booey 11-04-2017 01:45 PM

Lancer vs Pmag, side by side concrete drop testing

This video is not new, but it seems to show that the lancer reigns supreme in concrete drop testing:

What do you think?

Ram Rod 11-04-2017 02:25 PM

What do I think?

I think I must be crazy watching some dude in shorts and sandals drop his AR15 in his driveway so many times. (first 2 minutes and out for me)
You asked.

Anyways. I got some PMags and I got some Lancers. I use them both. Do I care what happens to them when dropped on concrete? Nope. I don't walk around all jacked up and dropping shit either. Way less concrete in this world compared to dirt and grass so why play on concrete anyway? Stupid.
The PMags work and come in nice colors, but I love...........love, love, love my Lancer L5-AWM magazines!
Magpul could only put a window in theirs? C'mon now! Right? MagPul PMags are still overrated in my opinion and I do have to download by one round if I want to slap in a full mag on a closed bolt. Lancer has the edge there as well for me.

ba ba booey 11-04-2017 02:53 PM

It was painful to watch, yes. But I think it's relevant. SHTF scenarios will not stop if you set foot on asphalt or concrete.

I think the test definitely shows which mag is built stronger

nalioth 11-04-2017 02:56 PM

It's all about the page views.

Ram Rod 11-04-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nalioth (Post 4309332)
It's all about the page views.

So how many would be worth your while to do that to one of your rifles?

nalioth 11-04-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Rod (Post 4309357)
So how many would be worth your while to do that to one of your rifles?

It doesn't work that way.

Maxbob 11-04-2017 04:55 PM

Magpul all the way !

ba ba booey 11-04-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxbob (Post 4309512)
Magpul all the way !

Why?
"Muh Magpul" is not an acceptable answer.

Sublimeon24s 11-04-2017 07:10 PM

I sold most of my Lancers for more Pmags after dropping a loaded lancer mag down my carpeted stairs and the floor plate popping off sending the 30 rounds flying everywhere

ba ba booey 11-04-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s (Post 4309723)
I sold most of my Lancers for more Pmags after dropping a loaded lancer mag down my carpeted stairs and the floor plate popping off sending the 30 rounds flying everywhere

What generation Lancer was that? I know the earlier ones had problems

Raiderfan001 11-04-2017 07:34 PM

I bet the pmag still would have worked. The guy is obviously biased. I own both and think the Lancers are better but I don't go dropping my rifles like butterfingers magoo either. Pmags work fine.

fly 11-04-2017 07:53 PM

Gen 2 & 3 Magpul works great in my AO , Summer and Winter .

4mula 11-04-2017 07:57 PM

I own both mags and IMO the Lancer's are the better of the two.
Over the last 6 months ive been replacing my aluminum mags with polymer ones and while i mainly have been buying ETS brand because you can couple them together, ive bought a good amount of Lancers when onsale.

ninjamateo 11-04-2017 08:48 PM

That's why the military issues slings.

MAGAMan 11-04-2017 08:57 PM

The Lancer has steel feedlips, the pmag does not

1biggun 11-04-2017 09:20 PM

So let's see if I have it straight .
Your worried about breaking your mag in some SHTF urban warfare situation??
Here's a idea. Stick in a new mag if your dumb enough to drop your rifle a bunch if times.

I swear the situations guys dream up is hysterical.

My thoughts are the mags our military and other NATO countries use in REAL situations will work fine.

ba ba booey 11-04-2017 09:36 PM

Disagree.

I find it somewhat ironic that the same website where people denounce AK pmags (non metal locking lug) for failing a drop test onto concrete...

Then also give AR pmags a pass for failing the same concrete test.

And I say this as an owner of multiple AR pmags. I think it's easy to see that some mags are better constructed. Based on what I've seen, I think that the Lancer and all steel HK mags would fare better dropped onto concrete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1biggun (Post 4309956)
Here's a idea. Stick in a new mag if your dumb enough to drop your rifle a bunch if times.

My thoughts are the mags our military and other NATO countries use in REAL situations will work fine.

Raiderfan001 11-04-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ba ba booey (Post 4309990)
Disagree.

I find it somewhat ironic that the same website where some people denounce AK pmags (non metal locking lug) for failing a drop test onto concrete...

Fixed. I have no problem using AK pmags. I have some cheap Bulgarian polymer mags too. No problems with any of them.

phixion 11-04-2017 09:46 PM

Lancers seem like great mags. For me, it's too tiring and too expensive chasing the latest/greatest.

PMAGS and Okay Industries are what I own and what have worked for me. That won't change.

nalioth 11-04-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

The USMC has completely stopped buying aluminum USGI mags. Whatever aluminum mags they've got will be used until they're gone. They're buying all PMags now.

The Air Force has followed suit.

The Army keeps waffling on sh**canning the aluminum mags ( apparently a few generals are getting kickbacks from the aluminum mag industry ), but has authorized PMags for use ( they can even be ordered & issued through the supply system )

Mattylight30 11-05-2017 11:31 AM

I dont need a video to tell me Lancers are supreme.

Only AR15 mag I buy, but those $7-9.99 M2 PMags are hard to pass up sometimes.

KernelKrink 11-05-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Militaries generally have a supply system where broken stuff gets replaced, and cost is usually not a significant issue like it is for the guy buying his own stuff. And SHTF is not the only situation where losing a mag to damage could be an issue.

Remember the Clinton AW ban that caused mag prices to skyrocket, along with shortages in some cases due to a lack of pre-ban magazines? Remember $100 Glock magazines? Used Vietnam issue M16 30s going for $30? Heck, I don't even remember how many times I saw HK USP mags going for insane prices.

So yeah, knowing mag X is more prone to damage than Mag Y is a good thing to know when making a mag purchase decision. Currently, when AR mags of most flavors run $8-12 each and a new case of them is just a couple days away by UPS, yeah I'm not to worried that one of my mags might need replaced. But we have all lived through the AW ban where losing a mag or three could either leave us with a single shot gun or have to pay through the nose to get a replacement. What about the next one?

Justice06RR 11-05-2017 06:48 PM

They're both pretty good mags. Mags are disposable and expendable items. Have as many as you can.

I have plenty of both and use them both. Pmags have a good rep in the military and many of my friends in the service love them. Lancer L5 AWM's are awesome for the combined function of clear mag/plastic body/aluminum feed lips.

I prefer the lancers just because of the clear/translucent body. It looks cool, functions well, and you can even count the exact amount of rounds inside. But I've used Pmags for years as well.

allesennogwat 11-05-2017 07:08 PM

I use an AR15 lower that takes AK magazines and use Bulgarian 5.56 AK mags in it.

ba ba booey 11-05-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allesennogwat (Post 4311482)
I use an AR15 lower that takes AK magazines and use Bulgarian 5.56 AK mags in it.

I guarantee those mags are tougher than most AR mags. That's an interesting solution

RMiller 11-09-2017 10:23 AM

Mags are meant to be disposable.

Buy enough mags for your rifle that you don't have to consult a grief counselor if you break one.

Myself, idgaf if the mag is usgi with a magpul follower, tan follower, green follower, blue follower, magpul, lancer, etc. If it works, it works...

nalioth 11-09-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMiller (Post 4318050)
Mags are meant to be disposable.

Ah, this old saw again . .

Allow me to quote myself:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalioth (Post 878223)
Let's get this "disposable magazine" thing cleared up.

In the mlitary, you have two types of property. One type is considered a "durable item", and this is the property the soldier must sign for and turn back in at the end of their term. Examples of "durable items" would be the M16, TA50 (deuce gear for you jarheads), an HMMWV or M113.

The other type is a "disposable item", and this property is issued to the soldier and if he still has it at the end of the term, it gets turned in, but if not, it's no big deal. Examples of "dispoable items" would be pens, pencils, medical penlights, other medical supplies, M16 magazines, etc.

A "disposable item" in the military system isn't designed to be used once and thrown away, as you are alluding to, but it is purchased with the expectation that it may have a short service life and isn't necessarily required to be accounted for over a long period of time. "Disposable items" are still required to perform to military standards.

virgil cole 11-10-2017 07:52 PM

About 10 years ago David Fortier wrote an article testing AR magazines in the then " Shotgun News " . His extensive testing of AR magazines included magpul mags , Lanser mags , steel mags , and aluminum mags etc. . According to his testing protocol the aluminum magazines preformed very well and in fact came out on top . He also felt the Lanser magazines preformed very well .

soul rebel 11-11-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgil cole (Post 4320648)
About 10 years ago David Fortier wrote an article testing AR magazines in the then " Shotgun News " . His extensive testing of AR magazines included magpul mags , Lanser mags , steel mags , and aluminum mags etc. . According to his testing protocol the aluminum magazines preformed very well and in fact came out on top . He also felt the Lanser magazines preformed very well .

Dude is suspect. Writes whatever you want if the $$$ is right. See his IO articles.

burninglegs 11-11-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul rebel (Post 4321431)
Dude is suspect. Writes whatever you want if the $$$ is right. See his IO articles.

Yup.

ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT 11-11-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgil cole (Post 4320648)

Some things remained the same, many things improved. FWIW I wonder how the Lancers stand up to UVA's.

Renov8 11-11-2017 12:34 PM

I own two mags....Lancer and the SS C-product mags. Never had an issue with either.

Did a group buy on the Lancer mags...best mag out there, regardless of cost, hands down.

To each his own...

burninglegs 11-11-2017 12:57 PM

What is the price difference between PMAGS and Lancers now? I want to say $4-5 premium for Lancers? Seen PMAGS for $9 each on sale and Lancers in the $13-14 range on sale. Not like premium for Lancers is crazy.

Renov8 11-11-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burninglegs (Post 4321660)
What is the price difference between PMAGS and Lancers now? I want to say $4-5 premium for Lancers? Seen PMAGS for $9 each on sale and Lancers in the $13-14 range on sale. Not like premium for Lancers is crazy.

I have seen the Lancers, black, down in the 11.00 price range. I think it was Botach or CDNN with those prices.

Now is the time to buy, anything gun related.

EDIT to add...https://www.gunsmidwest.com/lancer-m...awm-ar-15-2647

Mags are foliage green...11.55/mag

nalioth 11-11-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renov8 (Post 4321664)
I have seen the Lancers, black, down in the 11.00 price range. I think it was Botach or CDNN with those prices.

I believe those were the "factory seconds" wot had something "wrong" with them and couldn't be sold as "first quality".