The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   AK-47s (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TDP for AK? (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334955)

gunshinestate 02-12-2018 07:15 PM

TDP for AK?

I realize that this has probably been discussed to death but are plans available for a type 3 AK? Exact measurements,etc.?

gunshinestate 02-13-2018 03:17 PM

I will take the silence as a no,as in not available.

Echo Nine Three 02-13-2018 03:50 PM

There is no Technical Data Package for the Kalashnikov. Every country did their own thing. I would be interesting to get several kits from various places and do the metallurgical research and part geometry and create a catalog of it.

gunshinestate 02-13-2018 03:56 PM

How does Russia license without a TDP?

Aceshigh 02-13-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunshinestate (Post 4472131)
How does Russia license without a TDP?

Speculating.....

Russia obviously has a TDP of their own, State secret, hush hush and I am sure
all licensed military factories with ties to Kalashnikov Concern have it, or their own update..

However, as far as domestic, they are all unlicensed "guesses" at best.
We have no clue what grade steel they are using, what hardness, etc
The "Wild West" of copies

In ither words non-military commercial production = Good luck,
because there is no verifiable metallurgical TDP.

gunshinestate 02-13-2018 06:09 PM

I was referring to the Russian TDP or copy; can't believe one hasn't leaked over the years.

dan187 02-14-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunshinestate (Post 4472335)
I was referring to the Russian TDP or copy; can't believe one hasn't leaked over the years.

Ricin is bitch.

Echo Nine Three 02-19-2018 09:32 PM

I do have a TDP of sorts but is in Russian. Hit me up at info@echo93.com if you want a copy.

Saddlerocker 02-20-2018 03:20 PM

I find it hard to believe no one else knows the grades of steel used in important parts.

I think this is a huge issue when buying non factory AKs.

burninglegs 02-20-2018 06:00 PM

Didn't Tim @ MAC pay to get some of the secret sauce for the AK and Rob Ski just used his contacts? I want to say it was regarding the cast vs. forged drama.

Mahdimadness76 02-20-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burninglegs (Post 4485657)
Didn't Tim @ MAC pay to get some of the secret sauce for the AK and Rob Ski just used his contacts? I want to say it was regarding the cast vs. forged drama.

Yes, but I think Tim stated he was not sharing all his information as it was very expensive... not to mention some guys tried to fall on him pretty hard about that like he was lying, might not have given the guy too much reason to help any further.

SillyNoob 02-20-2018 10:07 PM

IMHO, this is the primary reason to avoid buying US made Kalashnikov rifles.
American made kalashnikovs (C-39 in particular) are beautifully machined and have great fit and finish when unfired compared to comblock kalashnikovs. (Compare a c-39 bolt carrier to a combloc carrier, notice the lack of tool marks where the bolt rides in the carrier on the c-39).
But when it comes to metallurgy, US manufacturers decide to go with whats cheap and available instead of whats durable and battle proven.
I think it's reasonable to assume that the reason American trunnions and bolts deform after a few thousand rounds is because American manufacturers are deviating from the battle proven alloys used in combloc factories.

Aceshigh 02-20-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burninglegs (Post 4485657)

It was the cast / forged drama

However, no Tim paid for a metallurgical survey from a 3rd party of a SAIGA trunnion. The survey claimed Billet.
However, Tim also began some suggestive posting about MIM as well ......I can't remember the thread.
This began the shit storm.....

Rob Ski used his contacts. The contacts confirmed Forged, and production pics were shown from Russian factory.
The end results were polar opposites.

At the end of this Tim said people could believe in his "Factual survey" or trust in Rob's contacts from Russia being honest about US exports
Is basically how it came across......
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyNoob (Post 4486332)
But when it comes to metallurgy, US manufacturers decide to go with whats cheap and available instead of whats durable and battle proven.
I think it's reasonable to assume that the reason American trunnions and bolts deform after a few thousand rounds is because American manufacturers are deviating from the battle proven alloys used in combloc factories.

This......is exactly correct and how I also see it.

The market assumes majority of shooters don't put enough rounds down range for them to REALLY notice it til it's several years old.
They fire a few hundred rounds, rifle works, it goes into the safe for that protection status when called upon.