The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Poll: Should you carry with a round in the chamber? On safety? (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331539)

ian6161 01-12-2018 12:59 PM

Poll: Should you carry with a round in the chamber? On safety?

Iíve been having an ongoing debate with a friend and fellow AK Files member on how a handgun should be carried.
Should it be carried:
safety disengaged with a round chambered
safety engaged with a round chambered
safety disengaged and the chamber unloaded
safety engaged and the chamber unloaded

If you donít believe carry guns should have a safety, pick one where the safety is disengaged

nalioth 01-12-2018 01:02 PM

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/not...shit-again.gif

SAIGA 5.45 01-12-2018 01:12 PM

This thread should be nuked from orbit

Cypheros 01-12-2018 01:33 PM

OP, I carry with a round in the chamber, safety bubbaíd, and my booger hook on the trigger.

What option in your gay poll should I select?

brawny 01-12-2018 01:42 PM

Revolver with one round in the wheel, close eyes, spin it, put in holster

David Teague 01-12-2018 01:43 PM

1911 style. If trained in basic operations and gun safety, Cocked and Locked. If not trained buy a Glock.

Glock. Loaded, keep your GD finger out of the trigger guard until its time to use it.

Any DA semi, hammer down on a live round. Learn how to shoot DA.

If in Israel, trick question, unless you are a cop of some sort, active military or retired military officer, you are not allowed to have a gun.

corruptgarage 01-12-2018 01:45 PM

My PPS M2 LE has no safety, just trigger safety. I carry with one in the hole. Seen too many videos of an assailant attacking and an armed person dies or gets shot because his firearm wasn't loaded.

On my CZ 75B, I carry with one in the hole and safety on.

Renov8 01-12-2018 01:46 PM

Since I carry a Glock...its always loaded and ready. At first, when I started to carry I did not carry chambered...I do now. Have a very good holster and practice the same techniques day in and day out...and don't get lazy in your habits. That is when you get goosed.

steelreserved 01-12-2018 01:47 PM

I don't own any guns. Lost all mine in a boating accident..

Thruxton-Texas 01-12-2018 01:57 PM

Let's see, ......7 replies, and only 2 of them taking the question with the seriousness it deserves. Can you guess which 2 ? :laugh_sma

As for myself, when the zombies start pouring in through the windows, or my life is on the line from attacks by assailants from the real world; I want to milk as much excitement as I can from the encounter. To that end, I carry with an empty chamber, and the safety on. It makes things more sporting that way. Carrying your defensive weapon in a ready condition just isn't cricket old boy. ;)
.......James.

Sublimeon24s 01-12-2018 02:35 PM

what kind of pussy doesnt carry condition 0 or 1?

ninjamateo 01-12-2018 03:13 PM

As long as you train with how you carry it doesn't matter.

burninglegs 01-12-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjamateo (Post 4412858)

It does matter.

nalioth 01-12-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burninglegs (Post 4412874)
Quote:

It does matter.

. . . and they're off!!

Brasky 01-12-2018 03:41 PM

Better carry it empty in your purse op

Spook76 01-12-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Oh, I wouldn't say that...even if your crystal ball is a good one. No amount of training will change that the first shot will always be faster with a firearm carried with a round in the chamber versus one with an empty chamber. Good training makes things safer, and can mitigate this and that to varying degrees, but faster is faster. Faster, often enough, does matter (based on evidence, not just personal preference).

That doesn't mean carrying with an empty chamber will always get that carrier killed, nor does it mean that carrying with a loaded chamber is as "wise" for some people as others. In any case, it most certainly may "matter", and training mentally/emotionally/physically tends to produce better results than not training.

OP:
Manual safety engaged (if the gun has one), round chambered

bounce19712 01-12-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brasky (Post 4412894)
Better carry it empty in your purse op

yep with the safety on;empty chamber; CCW vest; kevlar pot

RunsWithScissors 01-12-2018 04:03 PM

I don't carry a gun anymore, I carry a knife now.

But I make sure to have an extra piece of material over the sharp part of the blade for safety that I must take off after I pull my knife from the sheath it is carried in.

You know, so I don't accidentally cut myself.

RMiller 01-12-2018 04:12 PM

What's a safety?

https://i.imgur.com/oOsOmuK.gif

Jeddak 01-12-2018 04:16 PM

No safety, chambered. If it does have an external safety , safety is off, then carry in a holster. Same manual of arms. Pull, aim, shoot.

nalioth 01-12-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeddak (Post 4412942)
If it does have an external safety , safety is off, then carry in a holster. Same manual of arms. Pull, aim, shoot.

. . . unless you know what you're doing ( and are carrying a 1911 or BHP )

Djinnfizz 01-12-2018 04:40 PM

Chamber empty
Magazine empty and removed
Powder pulled from cartridges and each one stored individually in a ziploc bag.
Can't be too careful; guns are dangerous after all

Sublimeon24s 01-12-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djinnfizz (Post 4412972)
Chamber empty
Magazine empty and removed
Powder pulled from cartridges and each one stored individually in a ziploc bag.
Can't be too careful; guns are dangerous after all

Id even go a step furter......leave the gun at the store.....then you gotta go buy it first, then buy the ammo, then load the mag, then chamber the round

Brasky 01-12-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s (Post 4412979)
Id even go a step furter......leave the gun at the store.....then you gotta go buy it first, then buy the ammo, then load the mag, then chamber the round

Can't shoot yourself if you don't own a gun

Cypheros 01-12-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas (Post 4412737)
Let's see, ......7 replies, and only 2 of them taking the question with the seriousness it deserves. Can you guess which 2 ? :laugh_sma

LOL

New guy comes in with
Quote:

Originally Posted by OP
Hay guiz, totly not da Aye Tee Eff. How teh filz cary dey gunz?

...and thinks he will get serious replies. OP forgot to add "just the one's you currently own" and "what can you say about?"

Flashy 01-12-2018 08:18 PM

I don't understand carrying a gun un chambered. I was watching one of the Alaska shows, guy chambers a round for a deer caribou or moose, when I hunt it's always loaded. If it's a bolt gun it's on safe, if it's a hammer gun I cock the hammer to shoot, so simple a cave man could do it.

AK-104 01-12-2018 08:25 PM

The poll is incomplete. I carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and manual safety engaged (cocked and locked). I have no problems carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber, or a Sig Sauer/Beretta, etc. DA/SA gun with a round in the chamber and decocker with no safety.

As a general rule, a pistol is considered to be unloaded without a round in the pipe. There isn't much more useless than an unloaded gun.

Sigiloso 01-12-2018 08:38 PM

I trained extensively with, and carried a handgun daily for many years, DA/SA, decocker, no safety. It worked for me, and still does.

I'll admit I started on a DA revolver, so I am comfortable with that pull.

sboone 01-12-2018 10:14 PM

I always keep one in the chamber, I just pop a little blue pill every couple hours to make sure I only need to pump once to fire, last one to the finish line is a loser

smithy72 01-12-2018 10:16 PM

Are you 12?

sboone 01-12-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithy72 (Post 4413474)
Are you 12?

Good sir I can appreciate your above average ability to guess a fine young gentlemansí age and for that I shall buy you a beer...in 9 years.

Seriously though we just had this exact thread in a moderately serious manner maybe a month ago and it all boiled down to there being 2 types of people

Those that carry one in the chamber appropriate for the gun they are carrying glock/DA/SA/revolver

And those that are wrong and have no business with a gun because they donít trust themselves to not negligently shoot themselves or someone else

In summary Iím surprised Nalioth did not shitcan this thread as a retread since having one such a short time ago

$5 says OPís next thread is whatís your carry ammo and you bet your ass you thought that was a 12 y.o. remark? I have a lot of time behind a windshield Iíve got lots of material

Barth 01-12-2018 10:35 PM

None of my carry guns even have a manual safety.
That's generally a deal breaker.
Only exception is a ~4 lbs trigger 1911 Dan Wesson V-Bob.

A J 01-12-2018 11:09 PM

revolver

skullcoder 01-13-2018 12:27 AM

As others have said, on my SIGs, no safety needed as the DA pull is the safety. As for my 1911, condition 1 always. I have a friend, he carries a Glock with an empty chamber. He's done that for 15 years. I told him he might as well club the perp in the head as he is checking the eggs for cracks in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. I don't know why he does what he does. He just carries it in his fatigue jacket like he would his car keys. I just got him to put it in a Sticky Holster last month. He voted for Hillary. So...

DevJames 01-13-2018 02:44 AM

Always chambered if on me.

Around the house, they're cruiser carry.