PDA

View Full Version : The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

TheGreek!
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Anybody else getting this a lot today when you post or change pages? I am, its been damn near impossible to navigate and post on the site today.

Jen
12-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of high server load. Both AK Files and FAL Files are on the same server together, and while AK Files generally contributes less load on the server, it has never been throttled back like FAL Files. This means, that when the server load get's too high, the guys at FAL Files suffer with server too busy messages, but the AK Files just continues chugging along. I have, as a result of this, set both sites to throttle at the same server load level. Without doing this we end up with database corruption and other related issues.

Jen
12-17-2011, 12:50 AM
FYI: Server loads will be high over the next 24-48 hours. I'm running some maintenance scripts on the backend that should be done within that time frame.

TheGreek!
12-17-2011, 01:11 AM
What kind of processessing power, storage capacity, and memory capacity does the server have Jen? Is the hard drive system on a raid 5 setup? Are they fiber optic, SATA, IDE, or SCSI drives? Whats the rpms of the drives? What kinda RAM is in it? I build computers as a hobby, if you need a better server let me know what you currently have and I'll see if I can score a better one for ya for a good deal or put you together one that works better than the one thats running the websites right now.....

Jen
12-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Not even close to enough... Right now the biggest issue is the drive setup. The databases are WAY too big for the server / config we have. I'm looking to upgrade the server to a new dual processor with a RAID 10 config of 4x 300GB 15K SCSI Drives, which should solve a large portion of the server load issues. Only problem is the hosting fees for such - about $1400-1500 / month for the database and main webserver machines.

TheGreek!
12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Is it U320 scsi or U160? Have you considered raid 5? Hopefully your raid system has raid 5 as an option. A lot of raid cards (and most built-into-the-motherboard raid systems) dont offer raid 5 because a lot more electronic componentry is required on a raid 5 card, and raid 5 cards usually cost a lot more than conventional raid cards because of it too. Raid 5 is a lot faster than raid 10 and leaves a lot more storage space available on the hard drives. For example, on a raid 10 half of your hard drives are mirror drives but on a raid 5 there are no mirror drives, one drive (or more, its up to you) is set aside as a "parity" drive and through some kind of computer magic :rofl_smal the parity drive can rebuild the info lost on another hard drive in the event of a hard drive failure and the system doesnt even have to be shut down to do it if the drives are in an external scsi raid box, the hard drive replacement can be done with the system still running (it'll run slower during that time though until the parity drive "rebuilds" the new replacement drive). Rather than four 300 gig drives on a raid 10 (600 gigs of usable storage and 600 gigs of mirror drives) I'd spread it out across eight 160 gig drives on a raid 5 and dedicate two of the drives as parity drives instead of just one parity drive (in case a parity drive fails) which will give you 960 gigs of usable storage instead of 600 and it'll run faster too. With four 300 gig drives I'd make one a parity and use the other 3 for storage which will give you 900 gigs of storage. What kind of processors and RAM is in it by the way?

Chrissy
12-17-2011, 06:50 AM
I just got the server busy message too.

Dirt Diver
12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
It's all your prolific posting that's clogging up the works, Greek :laugh_sma :laugh_sma :laugh_sma

albino
12-17-2011, 02:58 PM
So Jen...

Are there any gifts or "tidings of great joy", that we here at the AK Files could send you, so that it goes back to how it was, where the FAL guys were getting hosed instead of us?

Maybe a gigantic fruit basket or something?

Please consider this and let us know. Thank you.

Shadow Walker
12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I got 'em as well.

I wish I understood what the heck y'all said meant. :laugh_sma

Lopojo
12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
yes i got this 2.

TheGreek!
12-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Is the server a rack mount or stand alone Jen?

He're a good rack mount for a good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-6850-4x-Dual-Core-3-4GHz-32GB-5x300GB-Server-RAID-and-Rails-/300637701081?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item45ff6743d9

Here's a good raid storage box to go with it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-220S-Drive-Array-w-14-146GB-SCSI-Drives-/300572343519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb81fcdf

Here's a good stand alone raid box (it can hold up to 14 hard drives):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-221S-w-6x-146GB-10K-U320-SCSI-HDDs-/280791235014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41607639c6

pappy177
12-17-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.consumer-rankings.com/hosting/

Good servers are 5-15 dollars a month
$10 gets you unlimited bandwidth and storage.
I use 1 of them , never down time or slow down.

jasonbourne
12-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Hey guys? Just think how hard it would be to get on here if there was a massive EMP attack! :uhoh_smal :laugh_sma

mancat
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Is the server a rack mount or stand alone Jen?

He're a good rack mount for a good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-6850-4x-Dual-Core-3-4GHz-32GB-5x300GB-Server-RAID-and-Rails-/300637701081?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item45ff6743d9

Here's a good raid storage box to go with it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-220S-Drive-Array-w-14-146GB-SCSI-Drives-/300572343519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb81fcdf

Here's a good stand alone raid box (it can hold up to 14 hard drives):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-221S-w-6x-146GB-10K-U320-SCSI-HDDs-/280791235014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41607639c6

Nice of you to offer, but it appears she's using a hosted server. You can't just throw your own hardware at a problem unless you're paying for co-location services, and most co-location outfits will want you to use a standardized server (Dell, HP, etc.) so that they can replace hardware in the event of a failure.

JohnFreeman
12-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of high server load. Both AK Files and FAL Files are on the same server together, and while AK Files generally contributes less load on the server, it has never been throttled back like FAL Files. .

Now they're BOTH slow.

(No good deed shall ever go unpunished)

:-)
John

Jen
12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
It's a fully dedicated server (two actually - one web, one db), and no, a $10 / month hosting account will not accommodate the load requirements of one, let alone both boards.

You want to know the costs? Go to softlayer.com and configure a quad cpu server with raid 10 / 4x 300gb 15K SCSI hdd's in the array.. sorry, no $10 hosting to be found for our needs. We outgrew the shared hosting plans a LONG time ago.

Want to help? Sending a member contribution to paypal@akfiles.com is a good place to start. The hosting bill is going to jump to $1500+- a month once I replace the existing database server.

As for the FAL Files guys footing the bill.. AK Files is using as much as, if not more, of the servers resources.

Plus, if you contribute, you get bigger avatars, and more importantly, a much larger mailbox for PMs.

I am going to be more proactive in adding advertisers / vendors / etc.. in the near future, but I'm more focused on just getting everything running smoothly again right now.

backswampcub
12-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Well for the love of god someone donate on Ericthehuns behalf. That way I don't have to wade thru the please clear your box posts on the marketplace.

pogi
12-18-2011, 02:35 AM
It has to do with the erictheretard's full PM box.

TheGreek!
12-18-2011, 02:56 AM
It's a fully dedicated server (two actually - one web, one db), and no, a $10 / month hosting account will not accommodate the load requirements of one, let alone both boards.

You want to know the costs? Go to softlayer.com and configure a quad cpu server with raid 10 / 4x 300gb 15K SCSI hdd's in the array.. sorry, no $10 hosting to be found for our needs. We outgrew the shared hosting plans a LONG time ago.

Want to help? Sending a member contribution to paypal@akfiles.com is a good place to start. The hosting bill is going to jump to $1500+- a month once I replace the existing database server.

As for the FAL Files guys footing the bill.. AK Files is using as much as, if not more, of the servers resources.

Plus, if you contribute, you get bigger avatars, and more importantly, a much larger mailbox for PMs.

I am going to be more proactive in adding advertisers / vendors / etc.. in the near future, but I'm more focused on just getting everything running smoothly again right now.

Check your paypal Jen, please add the contributor status under my name...Merry Christmas... :cool_smal

I'd have given more but the holiday season is rough... :(

Anyway, what brand of server are you going with? What did you think of that dell poweredge 6850 w/four 3.4 gig dual core xeon processors, 32 gigs of ram, and five 300 gig 10k rpm SAS (serial attached scsi) drives for only 1400 bucks? Thats a good deal, especially if the drives are in good shape. There's some real good deals on some real good servers out there on the used market, check around before dropping big cash on a brand new one.

krinkov762
12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Not even close to enough... Right now the biggest issue is the drive setup. The databases are WAY too big for the server / config we have. I'm looking to upgrade the server to a new dual processor with a RAID 10 config of 4x 300GB 15K SCSI Drives, which should solve a large portion of the server load issues. Only problem is the hosting fees for such - about $1400-1500 / month for the database and main webserver machines. :cry_small

Guys we do need to start contributing, myself included. The costs for keeping our shared interests alive are invaluable, especially in troubled times...A couple of bucks won't break us.

TheGreek!
12-18-2011, 03:24 PM
:cry_small

Guys we do need to start contributing, myself included. The costs for keeping our shared interests alive are invaluable, especially in troubled times...A couple of bucks won't break us.

Thats why I donated, I've gotten a LOT of useful info from this site, I got some good deals in the marketplace, and I've met some good people too....

Its more than worth it, if you're serious about keeping this site going everybody should donate a little...Its Christmastime anyway, tis the season for giving... :cool_smal

m03
12-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, over what period of time is the "Currently Active Users" list at the bottom of the index page valid for? Most forums list "in the last 15 minutes" or "in the last 2 hours", etc, but that number doesn't seem to be qualified here.

albino
12-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Thats why I donated, I've gotten a LOT of useful info from this site, I got some good deals in the marketplace, and I've met some good people too....

Its more than worth what I donated, if you're serious about keeping this site going everybody should donate a little...Its Christmastime anyway, tis the season for giving... :cool_smal

+1

I have never donated to a website before, but IMO this place is worth it.

Jen
12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Updated. Do you guys get an email when your status get's updated or no?

albino
12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
no

I wasn't expecting anything, other than to help the cause...

then I noticed it said "contributer" under my name. No email notification.

Mandaree36
12-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Hmmm

I reckon I will go back to being a sponsor.

Me wonders - why no must be a paid sponsor to sell in the marketplace - like at the Falfiles - seems a fair request.

Just thinking aloud.

Mandaree36
12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Ok I put my money where my mouth is - so hows about the rest of you tossing in some dollars.

TheGreek!
12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Updated. Do you guys get an email when your status get's updated or no?

Nope, but thats ok. Like Albino said, I wasn't expecting anything other than to help the cause...:cool_smal

I like the upgrade to the PM box by the way, it holds 200 now instead of 50... :small_gri

I.Oak47
12-18-2011, 11:17 PM
can we have our msg say the same thing as FALfiles says? something about get up change clothes ect, its great

12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I like the overload message,,,,,,had to forward it for a chuckle

The server load is currently too high to support your request. Please do not keep hitting refresh (we know you're doing it, we know everything, don't even think of hitting refresh again and go put some clothes on for cryin out loud!). Go get a cup of coffee, take a potty break or maybe even spend some quality time with your significant other (We're sure that they miss you) and come back in a few minutes. The more people hit refresh because the site does not load the longer this will take.

IanMor
12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Time for me to kick in again too. I'll do it next week when some of my financial juggling balls are more under control. I'll pledge the $150.

77patriots
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I will too $$$ Im strapped hard too

ronin
12-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I sent a small payment to try and help Jen. Thank you for making AKFiles available to us.

Merry Christmas,

George

Burnout
12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Did what I could for now. I hope to upgrade my membership after the first of the year.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Jen and all of you for making this place what it is.

Merry Christmas and God bless...........

Jen
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
The search feature has been temporarily disabled for non-contributors. Unfortunately, this does affect the Todays Active Threads on the front page. Server load was spiking again and I had to pull the more resource intensive features, like search.

TheGreek!
12-20-2011, 03:42 AM
The search feature has been temporarily disabled for non-contributors.

Non contributors = freeloaders = devilcrats

Ante up and help Jen everybody...

scaleE
12-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Still doing it Thanks E

Jen
12-21-2011, 12:14 AM
The paypal address is: paypal@akfiles.com

Please be sure to put your board username in the notes section if you send a contribution to the board.

shim1313
12-21-2011, 01:11 AM
where is the link to see what dollar amount to donate? I would like to.

DRAGUN_SLAYER
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
There are Memberships available at many different levels and each includes designation as a Contributor on the Forums with the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels adding an Avatar image under your forum user name.

Contributor ($1 - $49 / Year)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor designation under your user name.

Bronze Contributor ($50 - $99 / Year)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bronze Contributor designation and Choice of 50x50 pixel picture under your user name.

Silver Contributor ($100 - $199 / Year)
Silver Contributor designation and Choice of 75x75 pixel picture under your user name.

Gold Contributor ($200 - $499 / Year)
Gold Contributor designation and Choice of 100x100 pixel picture under your user name.

Platinum Contributor ($500 or More / Year)
Platinum Contributor designation and Choice of 100x100 pixel picture under your user name.

In the future contributor status may also give discounts on products and access to other members only specials.

Picture sizes for avatars are listed as maximum width and height of the image.

Contributions made previously will count towards membership status. Membership IS NOT required to access the site or post to the boards. The memberships are a way of giving something back to those who have contributed for their continued support of this site.

akass
12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Is this going to be an ongoing issue?
I can log in, and to click on the the first forum.Boom, I'm bounced out.Disconnected.

nalioth
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Is this going to be an ongoing issue?
I can log in, and to click on the the first forum.Boom, I'm bounced out.Disconnected.
That has nothing to do with what's being described in this thread.

You shouldn't be bounced, you should just see a "Server is busy" message.

Sounds like a browser issue.

The rest of you keep in mind that the server load increases with usage.

This means during the workday, the forum works fine. After everyone gets off of work is when it starts hitting the load limit.

1985 4runner
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
This server issue is starting to be an issue.

Get an ad or two.

Enterprise.

UFGATOR762
12-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Jen , PM sent . merry christmas

Jen
12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Yes, it will be an ongoing issue until the database server is replaced. Hosting costs will be over $20,000 for 2012 (both FAL Files and AK Files). Our database server is well past the time it needs to be replaced. The only reason you guys didn't see the server too busy messages MONTHS ago, is that for some reason FAL Files was throttling back when the server load hit 15, but AK Files just kept on chugging. I 'fixed' this, so now both sites get the server too busy message. For reference, the server load really shouldn't be over 3-4 :(

TheGreek!
12-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Got a time frame on the server replacement so that we have a general idea of how long we have to suffer through this Jen?? When I try to come here now I get the busy message at least 50% of the time, and I also have to copy every one of my posts before I hit the send button just in case it doesnt go through and gives me the busy message which also happens at least 50% of the time. There is nothing more maddening than typing a long post and getting the busy message after hitting the send button and losing the post.

Jen
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Next week some time. I'm working on the back end related stuff right now to make sure down time is as minimal as possible.

TURBOELKY
12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Got a time frame on the server replacement so that we have a general idea of how long we have to suffer through this Jen?? When I try to come here now I get the busy message at least 50% of the time, and I also have to copy every one of my posts before I hit the send button just in case it doesnt go through and gives me the busy message which also happens at least 50% of the time. There is nothing more maddening than typing a long post and getting the busy message after hitting the send button and losing the post.
You'll be ok geek. Your statement reminds me of some of my customers...
"I've been with your company 18 years and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!! But the last week has been TERRIBLE!!! I'm thinking of switching services!!" Then I come back with, " thats a pretty good track record if you ask me! Growing pains sir..." Give Jen some time, it will be ok.... :)

EPAPressure
12-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Must be the NWO tracking through our posts on AKfiles when it says server busy. I'll contact Alex Jones for an update.

Fundump23
12-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Must be the NWO tracking through our posts on AKfiles when it says server busy. I'll contact Alex Jones for an update.

I'm sure that's a real possibility

TheGreek!
12-25-2011, 08:29 PM
You'll be ok geek. Your statement reminds me of some of my customers...
"I've been with your company 18 years and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!! But the last week has been TERRIBLE!!! I'm thinking of switching services!!" Then I come back with, " thats a pretty good track record if you ask me! Growing pains sir..." Give Jen some time, it will be ok.... :)

Where exactly in my post did I say that I was gonna go somehere, hmmmm? Did we forget to put our reading glasses on again?