PDA

View Full Version : MAK90 922 Help

BigG-n-Tn
08-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Got a Norinco MAK90 straight cut. The first thing hitting the bricks is the thumbhole stock. Any suggestions on the CHEAPEST way to make it 922 compliant? Personally, I think 922 is a total croc but it is what it is.

I plan on threading it for a flash suppressor and drilling the site block for a detent (maybe. probably) and K-VAR -or something- plum furniture. I'll keep the original stuff off to the side. This is going to be the "shoot it 'til it breaks" AK while the pre-ban underfolder and Arsenal hang out in the safe.

Any CHEAP suggestions on the 922 stuff?

rob-cubed
08-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Here's a calculator:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

You don't have a muzzle device so that's one less part.

Most people will add a Tapco G2 trigger group (3 parts), around $25. The MAK's trigger is actually pretty nice already, which is a shame to replace.

The other two areas to focus on are furniture (3 parts) and magazines (also 3 parts). You can do either of these, or a mix of both, but need to replace two more parts to get the total count below 10. The cheap parts here are US floorplates and followers, and/or a US pistol grip. If you include mag parts for compliance, you can only use those "special" or 100% US-made mags in the rifle.

That would free you up to get some foreign wood furniture pretty cheap if you check the WTS or GB. The stock and handguards will be the most expensive parts to replace with US parts.

BigG-n-Tn
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I would just leave it like it is if I could put up with that thumbhole but I can't. They are not very ambi friendly so the butt stock is going to go due to my leftiness and its' somewhat bulkiness. I have thought about just finding a spare thumbhole, lay the original aside and altering the spare to suit me which could solve my problem. That way the rest of the rifle could just stay bone stock. Thinking out loud and looking for suggestions. I'm with you on it being a very good AK just as it came. 922 is a ridiculous joke. Another asenine, no-difference ruling that makes absolutely zero sense.

KernelKrink
08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Since you plan on threading the muzzle and adding a flash suppressor, you're at 16 parts so you need 6 US made ones. Since you're going to be buying one anyway, a US made flash suppressor is 1. Tapco FCG can be had on sale at some places for $20, that's 3 more. A gas piston is less than $20 and a US grip is around $10. You're also going to need a normal length PG bolt as the Mak90 one is shorter than normal, $7. Furniture is another option as you're replacing the buttstock anyway, a US made stock is an option. You could also make it yourself for max savings.

donmor53
08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I just finished with my MAK-90

Tapco G2 FGC
Ironwood walnut furniture

Viola...922r compliant!

kickassnikov47
08-18-2010, 06:08 PM
hope this realy helps all prices are current from www.midwayusa.com
TAPCO SAW-Style Pistol Grip AK-47 Synthetic Black
Product #: 254212
Available $16.49 $16.49 Move to Wish List
Remove
TAPCO Gas Piston AK-47, AK-74, Saiga Stainless Steel
Product #: 650018
Available $12.37 $12.37 Move to Wish List
Remove
Choate Handguard and Forend AK-47, MAK-90 Composite Black
Product #: 683839
Available $13.49 $13.49 Move to Wish List
Remove
TAPCO Grip Screw with Bushing AK-47, AK-74
Product #: 815264
Available $6.59 $6.59 Move to Wish List
Remove
TAPCO Buttstock AK-47 Stamped Receivers Synthetic Black
Product #: 855434
Available $28.87 $28.87 Move to Wish List
Remove
Arsenal, Inc. Single Stage US Made Trigger Group AK-47, AK74 Steel Matte
Product #: 944990
Available $26.99 $26.99 Move to Wish List
Remove
about $108.00 before shipping!

BigG-n-Tn
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Does the grip screw count separately from the grip? Never heard before but -for some reason- the question popped into my mind.

kickassnikov47
08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Does the grip screw count separately from the grip? Never heard before but -for some reason- the question popped into my mind.

the standard norinco thumbhole grip screw more than likely will not work on any aftermarket pistol grips. that is why i have it included.

BigG-n-Tn
08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
the standard norinco thumbhole grip screw more than likely will not work on any aftermarket pistol grips. that is why i have it included.
I'm almost 100% sure that it won't work either. I just had to ask. I doubt if they consider the hardware as anything but that. Thanks for posting that price list to give me an idea anyway. I keep going back and forth with what I'll do with it.

donmor53
08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Unless the aftermarket pistol grip is drilled specifically for the use of a (in this case) Norinco thumbhole stock screw (I think Ironwood does actually custom drill in some cases)...a new "standard" AK screw and bushing insert will need to be used.

You may also need the additional stock screw that is under the receiver cover. If memory serves me...it is not on the Norinco thumbhole stock either.

JTEXX53
08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I own a MAK 90 and I plan on new furniture, same straight cut receiver. From everything I have read is, you will need a new pistol grip screw. Are KVAR's conventional AK composite stock sets considered U.S. parts, I believe they are.
JT

kickassnikov47
08-19-2010, 04:56 PM
donmor53 you shouldnt have to have a new pistol grip screw block, the one that comes standard should suffice, a srew yes, but not nessecarily a block, and jtexx53 i do believe that kvars stock sets are compliant, so long as you buy the ones that are marked as such! i believe they had them in both nato lenght, and warsaw length!

KernelKrink
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
K-Var sells both foreign made and USA made stock sets and individual parts. Their ad copy for each item will tell you whether or not it is USA made.

donmor53
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
donmor53 you shouldnt have to have a new pistol grip screw block, the one that comes standard should suffice, a srew yes, but not nessecarily a block, and jtexx53 i do believe that kvars stock sets are compliant, so long as you buy the ones that are marked as such! i believe they had them in both nato lenght, and warsaw length!

You right regarding the screw block. My original did fit the bill.

Ironwood supplied the pistol grip, the grip ferrule and the bushing insert that is countersunk into the pistol grip for the necessary original AK grip screw to tighten against.

Bottom like...I needed a new grip screw to replace the Norinco thumbhole stock screw when I made the transition to the Ironwood furniture. Matt at Ironwood made this very clear on his website and while we were dicussing options on the phone. He also made it very clear that since my Norinco was a stamped receiver that some fitting of the wood may be necessary. Some light fitting was necessary but wasn't a big deal with my Dremmel. I love the extra length Ironwood's AK stocks provide. That extra length sure helps me sight with my larger stature. Overall...I'm tickled with the Ironwood furniture on the MAK and will use Matt's wood to replace the plastic furniture on my L1A1 too.

BigG-n-Tn
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I picked up the MAK90 yesterday. It looks absolutely unfired and perfect and came with 5 mags and the original sling. I'm thinking seriously about buying an extra MAK buttstock, putting the original up, modifying the spare to suit me and leaving the rest as it came.

Ermac
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Got a Norinco MAK90 straight cut. The first thing hitting the bricks is the thumbhole stock. Any suggestions on the CHEAPEST way to make it 922 compliant? Personally, I think 922 is a total croc but it is what it is.

I plan on threading it for a flash suppressor and drilling the site block for a detent (maybe. probably) and K-VAR -or something- plum furniture. I'll keep the original stuff off to the side. This is going to be the "shoot it 'til it breaks" AK while the pre-ban underfolder and Arsenal hang out in the safe.

Any CHEAP suggestions on the 922 stuff?
Who is really going to know that your rifle isn't 922r compliant?

Kaleb
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Who is really going to know that your rifle isn't 922r compliant?

Umm, hey new guy. Welcome to the files and all, but please don't say that again. Well, I mean unless you WANT to be permanently banned and then by all means.

Ermac
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Umm, hey new guy. Welcome to the files and all, but please don't say that again. Well, I mean unless you WANT to be permanently banned and then by all means.
New guy? Your butt hasn't even been here one year.

drjarhead
09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16982&cat=251&page=1

Kaleb
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
New guy? Your butt hasn't even been here one year.

With a post count less than ten.....you're a new guy. Besides don't get all huffy, I'm just trying to let you know that the powers that be here do not tolerate references to illegal activities, and yes I know you didn't actually say anything technically, but that's where you were hinting at. Just trying to do you a favor, but you go ahead and say it if you like.

drjarhead
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
For the small cost involved 922r compliance with a MAK is a small inconvenience.

The stockset I noted above and an arsenal or TAPCO FCG wil get you there for about $100.

Register on their forums and you will get a discount at KVAR.

It's worth it so do it.
You'll like you rifle so much better.

The euro style stockset takes some minor alterations due to the different thickness of the receiver.

If you do it, ask us for pointers.

drjarhead
09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
With a post count less than ten.....you're a new guy. Besides don't get all huffy, I'm just trying to let you know that the powers that be here do not tolerate references to illegal activities, and yes I know you didn't actually say anything technically, but that's where you were hinting at. Just trying to do you a favor, but you go ahead and say it if you like.
Yeah, he really didn't say anything but we all got the gist.

He's correct though. Unless you attract law enforcement's attn no one will ever know. They'd have to send the gun to ATF for it to be examined.

As I said, for $100?

Just do it.

Kaleb
09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
As I said, for $100?

Just do it.

Yep, how cheap will $100 seem when you're doing a 10 year stretch in Folsom?

Fortis
09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Not to drag this out, but has their EVER been a case of someone going to prison for a 922r violation? Seems the Constitutional basis of the law MAY be challenged, or I would hope. Rape = 6 months, pistol grip = 10 years?! It`s a mad, mad world.

Kaleb
09-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Not to drag this out, but has their EVER been a case of someone going to prison for a 922r violation? Seems the Constitutional basis of the law MAY be challenged, or I would hope. Rape = 6 months, pistol grip = 10 years?! It`s a mad, mad world.

Yes it HAS happened. It doesn't happen often. The ATF does not actively seek out compliance violations, but it's more of an add on at the moment. It's a fall back charge if they don't like your attitude or if you've done something else wrong they can tack this on. At the MOMENT they don't go looking for non compliant rifles. That doesn't mean they won't/can't. In answer to your question, YES it has happened but usually it's in conjunction with other charges or there is political pressure involved like a man gets a ticket for disturbing the peace or something trivial, then the media finds out he has several guns a few thousand rounds of ammo. Well in the hands of the media, that's an arsenal and then you know how the sheeple react.

Bottom line, the law is the law. If you don't like it, DO something about it, legally. Breaking the law does nothing but perpetuate their need to make MORE laws.

Fortis
09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes it HAS happened. It doesn't happen often. The ATF does not actively seek out compliance violations, but it's more of an add on at the moment. It's a fall back charge if they don't like your attitude or if you've done something else wrong they can tack this on. At the MOMENT they don't go looking for non compliant rifles. That doesn't mean they won't/can't. In answer to your question, YES it has happened but usually it's in conjunction with other charges or there is political pressure involved like a man gets a ticket for disturbing the peace or something trivial, then the media finds out he has several guns a few thousand rounds of ammo. Well in the hands of the media, that's an arsenal and then you know how the sheeple react.

Bottom line, the law is the law. If you don't like it, DO something about it, legally. Breaking the law does nothing but perpetuate their need to make MORE laws.
I`ll write a REALLY angry letter, that`ll teach `em.

Kaleb
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I`ll write a REALLY angry letter, that`ll teach `em.
:rofl_smal :rofl_smal :rofl_smal

Ermac
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM

When has it happened?

Kaleb
09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
When has it happened?

I don't know why don't you go ask your local ATF agent?

I'm not going to debate it. You're arguing a point of breaking federal law, not to mention the rules of this forum. Goodbye.

I will leave you with this though. A quote from the Administrator of this site.

Compliance (922R) with EVIL

A stamped receiver AK usually has the following parts :

1. Muzzle device
2. Barrel
3. Gas piston
4. Handguards
5. Trunion (this is the front trunion, the rear trunion does not count)
6. Bolt carrier
7. Bolt
8. Receiver
9. Pistol grip
10. Buttstock
11. Hammer
12. Sear
13. Trigger
14. Magazine body
15. Mag. Floorplate
16. Mag. follower

That makes 16 EVIL parts so you have to replace or get rid of 6 of these. The law against EVIL ensures that no foriegn (read:EVIL ) firearm may have more than TEN EVIL parts. We do not get to decide what parts are EVIL. That is the job of our omniscient goobermint. So, when referring to AK designs, refer to the above list. Replace parts on your rifle (or shotgun) so as to ensure that no more than TEN of the above listed EVIL parts remain on the finished product.

Other types of arms have additional parts to the above list. (ie-FNFAL as an example)

**Edit add (thanks to Pvt. Joker and Gunplumber !) In the case of a milled receiver (among these, a Galil, for example) the front trunnion is integral with the receiver. In this case, a rifle built on one of these would then only need FIVE US parts in addition**

Yes, Mildred, there HAVE been people charged with 922R violations.

Yes, Gertrude, if you get on this board and state how you do not care to "comply" with this EVIL law, I will ban your ass.

Next Question: ????

Experts are invited to PM me with suggested adjustments to this sticky. All learned commentary is welcomed and will be implemented as is deemed prudent.

spiders88
09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I sat down with my Guns and Ammo Ak issue for this year and was reading some of the back stories again. I realized that the article on the truck gun by James Tarr was about making your Mac90 into a truckgun. After reading it I realized that his gun isn't 922 compliant at all and how irresponsible his article is telling others how to trick out your Mac90 and not mentioning 922r. All he did was add an ACE stock and handguards and then adds Tech Sights. I know how we all talk about 922r compliance, but if Guns and Ammo doesn't know about it and they never mention it. I would imagine there are tons of guns out there that aren't 922r compliant. By the way in the last six months I have seen over 10 AKs at shows, ranges, and gun stores that are not 922r compliant......all mine are because it is better to be safe and legal....just my two cents.

BigG-n-Tn
09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Personally, I think it's an asenine set of rules/laws and about as stupid and beareaucratic as it gets. That being said, I also think that having to wear a motorcycle helmet is an asenine law. But.................the folks that enforce the laws don't give a rat's butt about my opinion or what I personally deem as asenine. I'll either leave it like it is (OEM) or make it compliant. Like Kaleb said, it ain't worth the greif to me. I would say that aftermarket suppliers love it too. It would put a major dent in their business if 922R were done away with. I'm leaning more towards a spare stock shaped to fit me.