PDA

View Full Version : Any Good AK-74's

Oxmix
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I sit here and read all the posts about AK-74's on the market. All I hear is about all the problems people are having with the quality of AK-74's on the market. Key holes, canted front sights, bad rivets, lousy triggers, etc. It really makes me wonder if it's worth it to buy one.

Regards

Ox

hemiman
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Ive been Looking at the Arsenal SGL 31's....

JMHO...but if i was gonna jump on a 74 that seems to be the "Best" in my eyes...I could be wrong...I wanna hear what others have to say too.

Oxmix
07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
That was going to be my pick also now the GP is no longer building 74's for sale. But I have heard about canted sights and bad triggers from Arsenal, so it makes me wonder if their product is as good as some people say. Are these problems blown out of proportion?

Regards

Ox

Brandywine
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
People are more apt to post if they have problems than if everything works fine, so sometimes it seems like they all suck. I think overall the SGL's have a good rep, as do the saiga 5.45s if they come back. The Bulgarian builds are hit or miss and with research here and elsewhere you can decide which one is the best risk. With AK's in general there is always a little risk involved in a purchase where you don't see or handle the rifle before buying. I have a TGI 74 that needed work when I got it, but seems (have only shot it 3 times so far) to be shaping up to be a good rifle.

veprk5.45
07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Vepr

Bulgarian arsenal nevada

saiga arsenal nevada

In that order

These are all military receivers, built at the arsenal with original barrels.

Saiga's are better then most ak's, but I havent been to impressed by them.

If I was in your shoes I would wait for one of the top two to show up.

Oxmix
07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok. Lets say I want to buy an Arsenal SGL-31-61, who would be the preferred dealer to buy from?

Regards

Ox

Scott7891
07-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Ok. Lets say I want to buy an Arsenal SGL-31-61, who would be the preferred dealer to buy from?

Regards

Ox

Only two sites that I know that are selling them at the cheapest price I have seen ($779) are Atlantic Firearms and KVAR.com.

Everyone else I have seen is charging $800+.

I have a TGI 74 that needed work when I got it, but seems (have only shot it 3 times so far) to be shaping up to be a good rifle.

I would shoot it as much as possible if I were you. I had a TGI AK-74 once and just like you shot it a few times and thought it was a "good rifle." The more I shot it the more I realized how screwed up it was. Sent it back twice and after the second time I demanded a refund. Make sure to check that your receiver and butt-stock are seated flush. My receiver was warped. You are not supposed to feel jaw pain when you shoot it coming from a tiny round.

Seraph
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Pick one up from Atlantic, if they have them. They're a great company, and will take care of you.

Atlantic Firearms
07-27-2010, 05:37 AM
We have the SGL 31-61 in stock and woudl say these are probably the nicest AK74 we currrently offer.

Beachhead
07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
You might want to checkout http://www.rifledynamics.com/ they'll make a converted saiga for you to your specs... whatever finish you want, trigger, etc.

Oxmix
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Getting back to complains about triggers on AK-74's. Are they all horrid? Are they some how different than the AK-47's. I have 2 AK-47's, A B-West, American made in 1989, and an SLR-95. Both AK's have triggers that are as smooth as butter.

Regards

Ox

maxhush
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm rather hoping K-Var has a Fall sale again this year, like they did last year on the SGL21's for $499 to start (and then the sale on SGL20's a couple months after that) hopefully including the SGL31 this time... Probably depends upon how sales are going for them, but I'm going to wait and see. The thing about their sales is to jump quick when the price seems ridiculously good and it's something you want, as they then begin to increment the price after the frenzy starts or they run out of stock on particular variations. I got an SGL21-71 (plum NATO length stock) for $509 last year because I jumped in quickly (the $10 more $509 for NATO length plum stock rapidly jumped to $579 as I recall, and then they kept incrementing prices on a weekly or so basis as I recall -- they did warn they were going to do this at the beginning of the sale).

n16ht5
07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Saiga saiga saiga... vepr if you can find one

I made the mistaake of getting a crapcaster ughhhh