PDA

View Full Version : Age to legally purchase and transfer PSAK 47 Finished barreled Received.

Dalen3659
05-03-2017, 01:51 AM
I'm new to the forum, so sorry if this is out of place at all.

The question is in the title. I've just purchased the finished barreled PSAK 47 liberty receiver from the PSA website and it's still in the processing stage. My concern is if I will be able to legally get it transferred to me bc I am 20. Does anyone know what the barreled receiver is considered?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

nalioth
05-03-2017, 04:32 AM

The question is in the title. I've just purchased the finished barreled PSAK 47 liberty receiver from the PSA website and it's still in the processing stage. My concern is if I will be able to legally get it transferred to me bc I am 20. Does anyone know what the barreled receiver is considered?

While I'm not PSA, I can tell you that your question isn't a PSA question of any sort - it's the most general question involving firearms you can ask.

Under federal law, you must be:

18 years old to buy / be transferred long guns
21 years old to buy / be transferred handguns or "other firearms"

A "barreled receiver" is an "other firearm".

ghost55
05-06-2017, 06:53 PM
While I'm not PSA, I can tell you that your question isn't a PSA question of any sort - it's the most general question involving firearms you can ask.

18 years old to buy / be transferred long guns
21 years old to buy / be transferred handguns or "other firearms"

However, f you buy a stock and have the FFL attach it, he could probably transfer it as a rifle.

nalioth
05-06-2017, 07:03 PM
However, f you buy a stock and have the FFL attach it, he could probably transfer it as a rifle.
If you buy a stock & have the FFL attach it, he'll require a type 07 license + ITAR membership as - under current regulations - he'd become a "manufacturer" by doing so.

ghost55
05-07-2017, 09:56 AM
If you buy a stock & have the FFL attach it, he'll require a type 07 license + ITAR membership as - under current regulations - he'd become a "manufacturer" by doing so.

A lot of FFLs have that. I know mine does. That being said depending on where you live this might be a bit more of a headache.

remauto1187
05-07-2017, 09:03 PM

18 years old to buy / be transferred long guns FROM A LICENSED DEALER.
21 years old to buy / be transferred handguns or "other firearms FROM A LICENSED DEALER.

FIFY. Perfectly legal for a 18yr old to buy a handgun from a non dealer as long as the buyer is a proper person (non felon) and also legal for a 10yr old to buy a long gun from a non dealer as long as the buyer is a proper person (non felon). ONLY Licensed FFLs are regulated to what age they can sell to and in that case your age listings are correct. State laws vary but for the most part there really is no age requirement to buy from a non FFL dealer but youd be suprised how many people believe the federal requirements(age to sell to) for FFLs are also for non dealers. Hell ive seen heard dealers try to tell me I cant legally sell a shotgun to a 16yr old...in which case that is so far from being factual. I even offer to show them where the laws are. Most are too stupid or lazy to look it up. They know it all of course.

remauto1187
05-07-2017, 09:11 PM

If your FFL runs it as a rifle then you are good to go but it all depends on what the sender(FFL) logs it as in his books. But technically he legally is suppose to run it as a "other firearm" which means it could made into a pistol or a rifle (like a stripped AR receiver) and in that case he cant legally transfer it to you. But anyone in our state (IN) can sell it to you that is not a FFL. Id stick a damn stock on it then legally it can never ever be a pistol. Do it right in front of him if he will go along with it.

nalioth
05-07-2017, 09:49 PM
FIFY. Perfectly legal for a 18yr old to buy a handgun from a non dealer as long as the buyer is a proper person (non felon) and also legal for a 10yr old to buy a long gun from a non dealer as long as the buyer is a proper person (non felon). ONLY Licensed FFLs are regulated to what age they can sell to and in that case your age listings are correct. State laws vary but for the most part there really is no age requirement to buy from a non FFL dealer but youd be suprised how many people believe the federal requirements(age to sell to) for FFLs are also for non dealers. Hell ive seen heard dealers try to tell me I cant legally sell a shotgun to a 16yr old...in which case that is so far from being factual. I even offer to show them where the laws are. Most are too stupid or lazy to look it up. They know it all of course.Well, since Atlantic ain't gonna ship to the OP's neighbor, who isn't likely restricted on who they can sell to, my answer seems adequate.

If your FFL runs it as a rifle then you are good to go but it all depends on what the sender(FFL) logs it as in his books. But technically he legally is suppose to run it as a "other firearm" which means it could made into a pistol or a rifle (like a stripped AR receiver) and in that case he cant legally transfer it to you. But anyone in our state (IN) can sell it to you that is not a FFL. Id stick a damn stock on it then legally it can never ever be a pistol. Do it right in front of him if he will go along with it.
No, if the FFL "runs it as a rifle", he's gonna present himself as a "manufacturer".

remauto1187
05-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Well, since Atlantic ain't gonna ship to the OP's neighbor, who isn't likely restricted on who they can sell to, my answer seems adequate.

No, if the FFL "runs it as a rifle", he's gonna present himself as a "manufacturer".
He's not going to present himself as anything if he runs it as a rifle. The ATF wont see pics in his log of the "rifle". Nobody would know anything different if they kept their pie holes shut. The ONLY way the ATF would know anything different is if someone called them up and told them. Even if PSA logged it as a "other" there is no way the ATF could link their log entry and the receiving FFL entry of "rifle" unless they were told about it and specifically looking for it. Otherwise it would just be "lost" in history.

nalioth
05-07-2017, 11:53 PM
He's not going to present himself as anything if he runs it as a rifle. The ATF wont see pics in his log of the "rifle". Nobody would know anything different if they kept their pie holes shut. The ONLY way the ATF would know anything different is if someone called them up and told them. Even if PSA logged it as a "other" there is no way the ATF could link their log entry and the receiving FFL entry of "rifle" unless they were told about it and specifically looking for it. Otherwise it would just be "lost" in history.

Right.

Atlantic doesn't keep receipts of what they sell. Said receipts wouldn't have dates and buyer's names and such insignificant information on them, or anything that could correlate to a dealer's bound book . . .

You are tiptoeing close to forum rule #1 here, btw, with your "suggestions".

remauto1187
05-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Right.

Atlantic doesn't keep receipts of what they sell. Said receipts wouldn't have dates and buyer's names and such insignificant information on them, or anything that could correlate to a dealer's bound book . . .

You are tiptoeing close to forum rule #1 here, btw, with your "suggestions".
Really? You are gonna go there with the rules with me because I disagree with you? Im not telling or suggesting the buyer do anything since it would be the FFL on his end doing the logging and NICS check. Its completely out of the buyers hands and rests in the hands of his FFL's knowledge or lack thereof.
The odds of ATF correlating PSAs receipts/logs and the buyers FFL logs are zero UNLESS someone alerts them to it.

nalioth
05-08-2017, 01:16 AM
The odds of ATF correlating PSAs receipts/logs and the buyers FFL logs are zero UNLESS someone alerts them to it.

. . . and the odds of you getting a ticket when you run a stop sign at a deserted intersection are zero, but it's still illegal.

remauto1187
05-08-2017, 01:23 AM
. . . and the odds of you getting a ticket when you run a stop sign at a deserted intersection are zero, but it's still illegal.
Its only illegal if you get caught. Live a little! :D And Im not driving all over Indiana looking for a damn desert so I can find a stop sign to try out your theory.
I am curious as to how the OPs FFL handles this. Hopefully we get an update.

David Teague
05-08-2017, 02:04 AM
Yo! remauto1187

You are suggesting having someone commit a federal felony.

Period.

Live a little?

Enjoy doing so while locked out of this site.

See you back in 14 days.

The Mod.