PDA

View Full Version : PSA AK47 QC Issue?

Bonstrosity
01-30-2017, 09:22 PM
I recently purchased a "moekov" rifle and upon bringing it home I noticed a few issues. Overall it seems to be a nice rifle however there are a couple of issues that I have never experienced on a PSA product nor would I expect on a new unfired (besides the factory) rifle. It appears the dust cover nitride job is not of the same quality or color as the rest of the rifle, the muzzle detent pin will not stay extended. Also my bolt looks as if someone used a grinder on the bolt. I raised these questions via the info@palmettostatearmory email twice and did not get a response over two emails. I then waited an hour on hold through the call center. Eventually I spoke to a representative who asked for pictures to be emailed to them, which I did promptly. I never received a response from that representative. Today I spent another hour to be told by a representative and their supervisor the issues were completely normal and there was nothing wrong with my rifle even though this was not a blem.

Please see the pictures below, can you tell me if these are normal? I have never seen any other AK with the type of grinding on the bolt. Nor have I seen this on any online media about PSA AK rifles whether it be Rob Ski's videos or the newly posted AK rifle assembly video. I am hesitant to send the rifle back and wait 5 weeks for it to be returned as this is a brand new rifle without ANY rounds fired by me through it. I would prefer a new bolt be sent along with a new dust cover. Is this a possibility as it would be the easiest solution to the problem.

http://i67.tinypic.com/jgh3q9.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2i6cfhg.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/kdrixj.jpg

TangoHunter
01-31-2017, 01:07 AM
I also ordered a red wood (non blem) from them mid month. Noticed corrosion/pits on the top of the barrel as well as the side of the receiver, almost like it took a salt bath before shipping. Buffed the crap out of it with CLP and no change. I just don't want this minor corrosion or flaw in finish to turn into rust in the future. I emailed them about it, no response. Finally called CS a few days later and was told that because I took it home, I cannot get a refund/return/exchange regardless of the issues. I was thinking to myself, what does lifetime warranty to original owner mean then? Thought about calling again to see if I got someone having a bad day but decide to say screw it. I have spent thousands of dollars with them over the years on AR parts and the one time I would have loved some assistance, they told me to get bent. I didn't even want a return, was just seeing if they could swap it for a different one without the cosmetic issues. I might just be nit picking as it is a tool and not a safe queen, but like I said, just don't want it to turn into a cancerous rust. Also one of the rivets appears to be slightly flattened. I keep trying to upload pics but it keeps failing. I will try to PM them to you or post them a little later.

Palmetto State Armory
01-31-2017, 10:56 AM
IMs sent.

The lifetime warranty is against defects in materials or workmanship. If an item is found defective, it will be repaired or replaced (at our discretion). A warranty is insurance that the item purchased will do the task intended. We will be happy to inspect the rifles mentioned and correct any issues found, but that will require that the rifles be sent back.

billydonk
02-01-2017, 11:20 AM
I recently purchased a "moekov" rifle and upon bringing it home I noticed a few issues. Overall it seems to be a nice rifle however there are a couple of issues that I have never experienced on a PSA product nor would I expect on a new unfired (besides the factory) rifle. It appears the dust cover nitride job is not of the same quality or color as the rest of the rifle, the muzzle detent pin will not stay extended. Also my bolt looks as if someone used a grinder on the bolt. I raised these questions via the info@palmettostatearmory email twice and did not get a response over two emails. I then waited an hour on hold through the call center. Eventually I spoke to a representative who asked for pictures to be emailed to them, which I did promptly. I never received a response from that representative. Today I spent another hour to be told by a representative and their supervisor the issues were completely normal and there was nothing wrong with my rifle even though this was not a blem.

Please see the pictures below, can you tell me if these are normal? I have never seen any other AK with the type of grinding on the bolt. Nor have I seen this on any online media about PSA AK rifles whether it be Rob Ski's videos or the newly posted AK rifle assembly video. I am hesitant to send the rifle back and wait 5 weeks for it to be returned as this is a brand new rifle without ANY rounds fired by me through it. I would prefer a new bolt be sent along with a new dust cover. Is this a possibility as it would be the easiest solution to the problem.

Come on Edina- Bolts on AKs can't just be swapped out like an AR. It was hard for me to see your pics. If you think you have a problem with the bolt-unfortunately you're gonna have to send it in. The dust cover finish doesn't surprise me either- sorry to hear. There is a thread in 47 section regarding other similar problems.

Bonstrosity
02-03-2017, 10:43 AM
After reading your post and doing research it sounds like you are correct the bolt needs to be headspaced. Initially the PSA rep on this forum was very responsive but have not heard back in a couple days. It's too bad the customer service is like this compared to other main stream companies. I have ordered my fair share of PSA products. I may think twice about it in the future.

Palmetto State Armory
02-03-2017, 01:18 PM
The representative you've been in correspondence with via IM is not in the office for the time being, and it appears he has escalated your issue to the head of the respective department.

I will request he make contact with you.

Bonstrosity
02-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Excellent Thank You

Bonstrosity
02-08-2017, 11:56 PM
I still have not received any new response. I question the new email provided today that anyone will be answering it. I did however send an email there as well.

DoorKicker
02-09-2017, 02:03 AM
keep us posted on progress

marcus5
02-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Yes plz

Bonstrosity
02-11-2017, 03:07 PM
I surprisingly received a prompt response from the new email they provided. A shipping label and returns form was provided. We will see what the turn around time is.

Bonstrosity
02-26-2017, 02:38 PM
PSA received my rifle and looked it over. I received a phone call and was pleasantly surprised by the service. They said they agreed this was not normal and would be replacing the bolt, carrier, and dust cover.

Bonstrosity
03-04-2017, 09:30 AM
I received the rifle back from PSA last night. The bolt and bolt carrier group were replaced with what I was told were forged parts along with a new dust cover. I have no good way to confirm the forged parts as there was not documentation in the box. The parts look as what they should from a new rifle. The detent pin issue was not addressed and still only protrudes under spring pressure a fraction of an inch.

I am happy with the quick turnaround and that PSA finally admitted there was an issue and corrected it. I wish it wouldn't have been such a process to fight to prove there was a problem in the first place with a brand new rifle. Now it's time to take it to the range.