PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a gripe with how the dedicated 9mm lowers are sold.

Trentatron
11-05-2016, 03:39 PM
So I've ordered lots of products from PSA over the years, and even given them an "attaboy" here on the Files, but I'm a little disappointed in how the dedicated 9mm lowers are being advertised/sold.

About two weeks ago I ordered a dedicated 9mm lower designed to take Glock mags. My hope was to simply swap it out with my current lower that has a mag adapter in it for colt mags. For the record my current 9mm AR pistol kit came from PSA as well. I also ordered a dozen 31 rnd glock mags from PSA right after I ordered the lower.

After I ordered it, I noticed it required their hybrid 9mm bolt. No big deal, I missed that when I ordered the lower...my mistake. Before I ordered the bolt I thought I had better call them just to be clear. So I called in and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that their bolt has to be used with their upper. No where on their ad for the bolt does it state that it has to be used with their upper receiver.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/oem-psa-g-9-hybrid-9mm-bolt-carrier-group-w-logo.html

She then proceeds to tell me that every complete upper they sell is sold with the bolt and charging handle. The only problem is they don't currently have any uppers in stock, and haven't for the past two weeks since I ordered my lower. I asked, and she couldn't tell me when they expected more 9mm uppers or kit in stock. I'm a little frustrated at this point that I have a lower that will serve as a paperweight until they stock 9mm uppers, or 9mm rifle/pistol kits again.

In my personal opinion...there should have been more clarity in which parts are proprietary, and which are not. I can come to terms with having to order the bolt, but now it's snowballed into building the entire pistol again, or at least most of it.

It also makes me wonder why they sell just the bolt? If it has to be used with their upper, and they sell all their uppers with bolts, who needs just a bolt? Why not disclose in the ad for the bolt that it requires one of PSA's uppers? Ideally the ad for the lower would disclose exactly what PSA parts you would need to complete the build, not just the bolt.

In the meantime I'll be checking their site, and my email daily until I can order the rest of the parts I need. :mad:

uncommonsense
11-06-2016, 12:12 AM
I bought some Glock happy sticks for a SUB2000 I have on layaway, so when I saw PSA had a blem lrbho stripped lower I figured it would be nice to have something else to use them with since I don't have any Glocks so I got one.

I just built it into a 9mm AR pistol and from my research you can use other bolts. So I used a Spinta blem nitride bolt to go with my blem lrbho PSA lower. Both blems look and function fine. KAK heavy buffer and 10.5" Faxon barrel. With a Super Sig tube and SB15 brace it's long enough to put a vfg on it if I want. For now I have a round free float tube I have laying around from a carbine I reconfigured.

I just threw it together and haven't shot it yet but it seems like it'll be great. It chambers 147gr 9mm Nato fine although the bullet shows an impact on the barrel face.

vellnueve
11-06-2016, 12:31 AM
The uppers come back into stock frequently.

While it may be annoying, I generally work under the rule that anything other than a bone-stock DI AR in 5.56 or .300 BO will be proprietary to a certain manufacturer unless otherwise explicitly stated (such as the LR-308/SR-25 pattern .308 ARs which most manufacturers have standardized on).

uncommonsense
11-06-2016, 12:34 AM
A lot of the 9mm AR stuff is based off the Colt version, with additional cuts to the bolt to work with Glock magazines which is now becoming a standard.

uncommonsense
11-06-2016, 01:17 AM
IMHO PSA should have included a detent between the LBRHO spring and the lever. It seems like it would have been a great application for the standard bolt release detent. The way they have the end of the coil pressing up against the edge of a stamped sheet steel lever is kind of hokey.

uncommonsense
11-06-2016, 01:25 AM
I plan to change the upper to a ejection port door only version (no brass deflector or forward assist, and put a gas deflector on it, and change the handguard out to something with at least a top rail. I also wanted to put a tri-lug adapter on it but opted for a cheaper birdcage FH just to put something over the threads for now.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/30171620653_99beff46b6_b.jpg

draftpick
11-08-2016, 10:50 AM
So I've ordered lots of products from PSA over the years, and even given them an "attaboy" here on the Files, but I'm a little disappointed in how the dedicated 9mm lowers are being advertised/sold.

About two weeks ago I ordered a dedicated 9mm lower designed to take Glock mags. My hope was to simply swap it out with my current lower that has a mag adapter in it for colt mags. For the record my current 9mm AR pistol kit came from PSA as well. I also ordered a dozen 31 rnd glock mags from PSA right after I ordered the lower.

After I ordered it, I noticed it required their hybrid 9mm bolt. No big deal, I missed that when I ordered the lower...my mistake. Before I ordered the bolt I thought I had better call them just to be clear. So I called in and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that their bolt has to be used with their upper. No where on their ad for the bolt does it state that it has to be used with their upper receiver.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/oem-psa-g-9-hybrid-9mm-bolt-carrier-group-w-logo.html

She then proceeds to tell me that every complete upper they sell is sold with the bolt and charging handle. The only problem is they don't currently have any uppers in stock, and haven't for the past two weeks since I ordered my lower. I asked, and she couldn't tell me when they expected more 9mm uppers or kit in stock. I'm a little frustrated at this point that I have a lower that will serve as a paperweight until they stock 9mm uppers, or 9mm rifle/pistol kits again.

In my personal opinion...there should have been more clarity in which parts are proprietary, and which are not. I can come to terms with having to order the bolt, but now it's snowballed into building the entire pistol again, or at least most of it.

It also makes me wonder why they sell just the bolt? If it has to be used with their upper, and they sell all their uppers with bolts, who needs just a bolt? Why not disclose in the ad for the bolt that it requires one of PSA's uppers? Ideally the ad for the lower would disclose exactly what PSA parts you would need to complete the build, not just the bolt.

In the meantime I'll be checking their site, and my email daily until I can order the rest of the parts I need. :mad:

As another poster said you don't need psa's upper and bolt. I bought a complete psa colt lower and put a spinta bolt and midstate upper on my 9mm build. Runs just fine and the psa colt mags operate the lrbo.

Trentatron
11-08-2016, 11:36 AM
As another poster said you don't need psa's upper and bolt. I bought a complete psa colt lower and put a spinta bolt and midstate upper on my 9mm build. Runs just fine and the psa colt mags operate the lrbo.

I currently have a standard lower with a magwell adapter installed to run colt mags. In an attempt to get away from the adapter and colt mags, I purchased a dedicated lower that accepts Glock mags.

When I called PSA they told me that I will need both their dedicated 9mm upper and their "hybrid 9mm bolt" to be able to use my new lower.

My point is, if they had clearly stated this up front in their listings, I probably wouldn't have bought the lower. My intentions were to simply swap my lower with an adapter for colt mags, with this dedicated lower for Glock mags. Now I'll end up having to rebuild almost the entire gun, just to use the new lower.

Palmetto State Armory
11-08-2016, 12:27 PM
I currently have a standard lower with a magwell adapter installed to run colt mags. In an attempt to get away from the adapter and colt mags, I purchased a dedicated lower that accepts Glock mags.

When I called PSA they told me that I will need both their dedicated 9mm upper and their "hybrid 9mm bolt" to be able to use my new lower.

My point is, if they had clearly stated this up front in their listings, I probably wouldn't have bought the lower. My intentions were to simply swap my lower with an adapter for colt mags, with this dedicated lower for Glock mags. Now I'll end up having to rebuild almost the entire gun, just to use the new lower.

The upper receiver and barrel is the same.

The hybrid bolt is required to be able to use the Glock-style magazine or the colt-style magazine. These two magazines have very different profiles. As the majority of available bolts to date have been colt style bolts, it was important for us to make sure customers understood the bolt is physically different.

There are several glock-style 9mm AR bolts available. As others have noted, the 9mm platform, like the other variations, will require some trial and error if trying to piece together different brands.

We are putting product together as fast as we can. In case you haven't noticed, there has been a surge in firearms purchases lately.

Trentatron
11-08-2016, 06:07 PM
The upper receiver and barrel is the same.

This is not what your customer service told me. If they had informed me that I could use my existing upper, I would have purchased a "hybrid bolt" and probably never started this thread. You had bolts in stock then...not now. :headbang:

There are several glock-style 9mm AR bolts available. As others have noted, the 9mm platform, like the other variations, will require some trial and error if trying to piece together different brands.

My hope was to circumvent the "trial and error" by using all PSA parts, and the advice from your customer service rep.

We are putting product together as fast as we can. In case you haven't noticed, there has been a surge in firearms purchases lately.

Hmm...not sure, but that almost sounds like sarcasm...

Palmetto State Armory
11-08-2016, 07:51 PM
This is not what your customer service told me. If they had informed me that I could use my existing upper, I would have purchased a "hybrid bolt" and probably never started this thread. You had bolts in stock then...not now. :headbang:

My hope was to circumvent the "trial and error" by using all PSA parts, and the advice from your customer service rep.

We apologize for the confusion. We have addressed this question multiple times online, and CS has the same information. The issue was always that the bolt be compatible with whatever magazine was being used.

Hmm...not sure, but that almost sounds like sarcasm...

Seriously, we are making all we can, as fast as we can. We will have more in stock before too long.

Trentatron
11-09-2016, 01:22 AM
We apologize for the confusion. We have addressed this question multiple times online, and CS has the same information. The issue was always that the bolt be compatible with whatever magazine was being used.

Seriously, we are making all we can, as fast as we can. We will have more in stock before too long.

I appreciate your input, and your accessibility here on the Files. It's nice to know I can use my upper, less the colt style bolt.

I'm sure you are turning out what parts you can. Thankfully my KS47 Kit should be here tomorrow, it'll help keep me busy until you roll out more 9mm uppers.