PDA

View Full Version : New AK owner question....

alou
09-27-2016, 05:46 PM
I finally joined the club and purchased a PSA AK47 with Magpul furniture! I have extensive experience with AR platforms but have very little knowledge regarding AKs.

Now I have some questions. I loaded a Pmag with 20 rounds of Wolf Polyperformance FMJs and started to cycle the rifle. After doing this, I had some concerns:

1. I noticed it was more difficult to manually cycle the bolt with a loaded mag vs. an empty mag, at least much more so than an AR.

2. Most of the time, the bolt will not close all the way, leaving about .25-.5 inch gap (I'm slingshoting the charging handle and not riding it home).

3. Sometimes, as I'm trying to cycle the bolt that hasn't closed all the way, it feels like it's stuck. When I put some elbow grease into it, the round gets catapulted out about 3 times further than a "smooth" cycle.

Is this normal? thanks.

FYI, I haven't done any live firing yet.

Hoingster
09-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Do not fire that rifle before you get the headspace checked. Something doesn't sound right.

alou
09-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Do not fire that rifle before you get the headspace checked. Something doesn't sound right.

Sounds like good advice!

Palmetto State Armory
09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I finally joined the club and purchased a PSA AK47 with Magpul furniture! I have extensive experience with AR platforms but have very little knowledge regarding AKs.

Now I have some questions. I loaded a Pmag with 20 rounds of Wolf Polyperformance FMJs and started to cycle the rifle. After doing this, I had some concerns:

1. I noticed it was more difficult to manually cycle the bolt with a loaded mag vs. an empty mag, at least much more so than an AR.

2. Most of the time, the bolt will not close all the way, leaving about .25-.5 inch gap (I'm slingshoting the charging handle and not riding it home).

3. Sometimes, as I'm trying to cycle the bolt that hasn't closed all the way, it feels like it's stuck. When I put some elbow grease into it, the round gets catapulted out about 3 times further than a "smooth" cycle.

Is this normal? thanks.

FYI, I haven't done any live firing yet.

The Rifles are headspaced upon assembly and then test fired before shipping to ensure there are no function issues. Headspace should not be an issue.

Was this rifle purchased new from us recently, or was this a second hand purchase?

Overloading a magazine can sometimes cause feeding issues, but 20 rounds in a 30 round magazine is not overloaded.

Did you clean and check the chamber and bore before chambering rounds? Make sure that the chamber flag or a piece of some other debris is not blocking the round. If the chamber is clear and clean, There may be something else amiss. We would be happy to take a look at it for you. IM sent.

giantpune
09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
https://youtu.be/mQCU4bZk1u8?t=754

Palmetto State Armory
09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
https://youtu.be/mQCU4bZk1u8?t=754

This link does not work.

alou
09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Yes I purchased this new from u guys. I checked the chamber prior to this test and it was clear. I'm mostly concerned from a safety standpoint. Since I have almost no experience with AKs, I wasn't sure if this was something that just required breaking in with live fire.

Palmetto State Armory
09-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Yes I purchased this new from u guys. I checked the chamber prior to this test and it was clear. I'm mostly concerned from a safety standpoint. Since I have almost no experience with AKs, I wasn't sure if this was something that just required breaking in with live fire.

No, they should work right out of the box. there may be the slightest bit of resistance when pulling the charging handle back as the cocked bolt contacts the carrier, but that should smooth out and will not affect the bolt going into battery. I would check the bolt face, or, let us know your order number and we will take a look at it for you.

giantpune
09-28-2016, 02:01 PM
This link does not work.

:( It works here. No big loss if it doesn't though, it was just Rob Ski clowning around with a PSAK47 and a nogo guage.

Palmetto State Armory
09-28-2016, 02:13 PM
:( It works here. No big loss if it doesn't though, it was just Rob Ski clowning around with a PSAK47 and a nogo guage.

Probably just our firewall here...IT nazis...

alou
09-28-2016, 03:28 PM
PSA, PM sent