PDA

View Full Version : Foldingstocks for ban expiration?

falup
04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
what's the best source for side folders for the ohio ord stamped rcvrs?

shooter2
04-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Falup:

The best drop-in option is the Romanian pushbutton side-folder; FAC, RPB and K-VAR all list them, but have been out of stock lately. Find one where you can; I picked mine up at the Knob Creek shoot for $35, and there were piles of 'em there. ACE Galil-style side-folder is another drop-in option, but it's expensive and requires a dorky extended trunnion block. The standard Russian/Bulgarian underfolders and sidefolders both require major work on the rear trunnion to install; best done on a new build rather than as a mod to an existing gun, and best left to a qualified AK-smith (InRange, ORF, AK-USA, etc).

Packrat
04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Another advantage of the Romanian stock: replace thr front screw (the one inside the receiver) with a longer one, and you have a legal, locked open stock (can only be folded through the use of tools, a screwdriver). When/if the AWB sunsets, replace the supplied screw, and you have a folding stock. The front screw, if longer, extends just in front of the release and blocks it.

This can't be a real military item. Simply the fact that it replaces the stock so easily would argue against it. The fact that it can be made a "pinned open" stock so easily confirms that some higher intelligence was at work in the design of this stock.

shooter2
04-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Packrat:

You don't happen to know what size/pitch of screw these use, do ya? Figured it'd be something obscure and/or metric. :headbang:

I know you're joking with your last statement (and it was funny), but let's not confuse the new folks here. These stocks are, of course, authentic Romanian military issue (see pic below); the fact that they work out so well as post-ban stocks (either by your method, or by a single easily-broken weld) is just a happy coincidence! :D

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/graphics/rom_grip.jpg

torque65
04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
I thought the screw pitch would be something nuts also, but it's a simple 8-32. At least mine is.
BTW, I really enjoy this stock. I found that my cheek rubbed up against it some, so I wrapped it with 7-strand paracord. Looks cool as hell and has a little more cheek-friendly surface.

muddboy
04-16-2004, 09:02 PM
just found a guy on ebay that has a lot of them listed for sale. Buy it now price of $34.99 with $10 shipping. Search for the seller: noveltyguns

I don't know why these never show up when i search for "folding stock" but they seem to have 6 or so listed

Packrat
04-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Again, I goofed; I should have bought 10 from Tapco when they were going for about $23 each for 10 or more. They were welded, though. Or I should have bought a batch at Knob Creek last fall, when they were $35 each for singles. And those weren't welded.

And about the 8x32 screw--does it strike anyone else as strange, the number of dimensions on an AK that are simple inch values, instead of simple metric values? I wonder if MTK was using US lend-lease equipment to build his prototypes and found it easier to use inch measurements since the equipment was calibrated in inches? Another of the many questions I'd like to ask him if I ever got to meet him.

shooter2
04-18-2004, 11:56 PM
packrat:

It's not too late to un-goof; FAC (gunsnstuff.net) has welded folders for $23.99, and there were still piles of functional folders at the spring Creek for $35; that's where I got mine! :small_gri Finally found a g-d forward pistol grip, too. Should be here this week. Will wear the folder with the longer front pin "fixing" it until September, then will go fully functional. One down, more to go...

Packrat
04-20-2004, 09:27 PM
That's good info. As it gets closer to September (depending on how the news reports go) the welded ones could get cheaper, and the functional ones more expensive. I don't think there's any law against unwelding them.

Unfortunately, I don't have much use for them; I don't do much shooting anymore. I'm going to stick to modifications I have a need for on the stuff I own.

SuperDave
04-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Is it going to be as easy as it sounds to "drop in" a Romanian pushbutton side-folder into the ohio ord stamped rcvrs?

Got one of both on the way .

Thanks Guys

shooter2
04-21-2004, 01:16 AM
All:
The screws for the Romy side-folder are 10-32, NOT 8-32 as previously stated. Confirmed by a shopping trip to Home Depot. ;)

SuperDave:
"Drop-in" is relative. The Romy side-folder doesn't require any alterations to the receiver or rear trunnion like the Krink-style and 100 Series stocks do. The stock is a tight fit in the trunnion; I had to bang it on the floor a couple times to seat it fully. I also had to modify the front screw (under the dustcover) to allow the recoil spring lock to fit in its track - you'll need to grind down the screw head so it sits flush, or substitute a screw with a smaller head diameter so it fits farther down in the countersink. I substituted a longer screw to fix the stock open for 922 compliance, and it happened to have the proper head shape to fit. The rear screw needed a bit of length removed so it would not impede the folding action when tightened completely. Yes, I went ahead and did this mod now, even though the stock will have to remained fixed open until Sept. 14 (knock wood).

I'm pretty darn pleased with the result. Very authentic!
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/graphics/intrac_final_right.jpg

Ozzie
05-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey shooter2 nice looking rifle, I have a sar1 that I would like to do the same thing with. I already have the welded open folder, where did you get the lower pistol grip hand guard and the muzzle brake?

Thanks Ozzie :cool_smal

cdvanns
05-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Made my welded romanian side folder operational by removing entire assembly from receiver,removing pivot pin that butt stock rotates on,place a blade screwdriver between the end of buttstock and trunion (next to the swivel rivet) and pry to break weld,remove wire buttstock and clean up broken weld with a file,reassemble and insert a longer front screw and your good to go until Sept. CDVANNS

torque65
05-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Shooter 2 - You're right on the 10-32 screw size. Screws were in the wrong bin @ work. I just grabbed what fit, didn't really pay attention.
Thanks to Fastenal and their "keep full" stocking, when they can't even put things in the right place!
BTW, I used flat head countersunk screws, after dressing the holes with an 82 degree countersink. Nice flush fit.

Bit Flipper
05-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Are these Romainian folders just like the E. German ones? I bought one labeled E. German about 6 years ago and it drops right in to any euro-stamped reciever with no modification. The pistol grip nut and tang screw secure it to the receiver. It also came with a crappy brown plastic upper handguard and a well worn wooden lower handguard w/o a pistol grip. I paid about $30 for whole deal.

Tomac
06-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Novelty Guns sells them for $30 at their website.
Tomac

Grunt
06-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Nice rifle S2.
I must say these side folders are much superior in design to the polish underfolders. Simpler, lighter, tighter and sleaker.

I just got 3 AMD65 kits with the sidefolders. After looking at them I just might put a sidefolder on an AKM underfolder build I'm in the midst of.

Any opinions on difference in comfort between the 2 types?

renaissance_warrior
07-16-2004, 04:37 AM
After looking at the pics of the sidefolders, I just realized something about the stock on my AMD 65. The small rubber pip on the side of the butplate that i thought was an injection or pad removal point is really a buffer so it doesn't scratch the receiver. a nice touch actually. Very well made trunnion and pin setup by the way. Tight as a frog's butt,lol.

donkee
08-19-2004, 07:23 PM
The romy side folders seem to add some length, does anybody know how much is added? I would like to make my AMD-65 a folder after the AWB sunsets, but it's overall length now would fall under 26".

Son35
09-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Do these Romanian folders bolt right to a trunion for a fixed wood stock?
what kind of fitting is involved?
I like the idea of not chopping up my receiver :)

thankyou,
Mark

Furious D
09-02-2004, 11:01 PM
What about those Tapco stocks? The only things I didn't like were that they were plastic, and it didn't look like I'd be able to access the trigger when the stock is folded.

Bearwhositshere
09-04-2004, 04:20 PM
The tapco folders are ok. you can shoot with them folded. The only thing to watch out for is charging the rifle. You can get bit.

Tomac
09-05-2004, 05:48 AM
AA-OK sells 5mm screws for the EG folder that's the correct head diameter & length to work with the Romy folder. However, the rear screw may or may not have to be shortened just a teensy bit to keep it from interfering w/folder operation.
Tomac

Farmer from Hell
10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Do these Romanian folders bolt right to a trunion for a fixed wood stock?
what kind of fitting is involved?
I like the idea of not chopping up my receiver :)

thankyou,
Mark
No chopping what so ever. FAC has the welded ones pretty cheap. Do a search for my post/reply about them.

They take 5mm x 10mm and 5mm x 8mm metric flat machine screws. You'll need one of each. HD has the screws for $0.35 a pack

FfH